Major problem

• choosemath
  • Born
  • Born
  • choosemath
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay...first allow me to illustrate the gravity of the situation:

I am almost finished with my thesis, 93 pages of sweet math lovin'. However, the most complete version is on my laptop which no longer turns on.

I have a Dell Latitude CPxJ laptop and here's what I've done and what it does.

Before it went completely out of commission it had a rattling noise to it, and would sometimes lose power suddenly. In fact, the day before it died my 9 month old son was hitting the keyboard and it lost power. (There's a lesson to be learned there.) I removed the battery, checked to see that it had power, and replaced it. This seemed to resolve the problem.

It also had a reoccurring glitch on start up saying something about the system time being messed up, and I would go into the setup and change the system time. This would fix the problem.

Last night, I was using the laptop and changed rooms (you know, since laptops are supposed to be mobile computers.) When I set it down the mouse stopped working, in fact nothing was responding and it was making no noise. I turned the laptop off, and that was the last time it had any functionality.

Since then, I have taken it apart and found the rattle. There was a plastic doodad and a screw rattling around. I thought to myself, "Self, this can not be a good thing." I absolutely cannot afford the money (or time) of sending this thing away to be worked on, and am not opposed to trying things out as I have nothing to lose.

TYIA
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

//moved to hardware.

Personally I don't have any ideas to offer at the moment. Best of luck.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a way to take the hard drive out and somehow put it in your desktop as a 2nd HD to get your data off? I've never opened a laptop but it may be an idea.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

jlknauff wrote:
Is there a way to take the hard drive out and somehow put it in your desktop as a 2nd HD to get your data off? I've never opened a laptop but it may be an idea.

Not likely. Ever seen a laptop hardrive? Much smaller and the pin configuration is different. Best that could be done would be having the good fortune of having a friend with the same computer and swapping drives to retrieve the data and burn it to CD.
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or if you have $15-$20 to spend on buying an enclosure for Laptop Hard drive (2.5 inches instead of a normal 3.5 inch desktop Hard drive). The enclosure can have either firewire or USB output. Then you can use it on basically any computer to retrieve your data.

Nice thing to have too, and much cheaper than an external hard drive.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you can hook the 2.5" drives up to a regular desktop, like blizzy says, there's firewire & usb boxes (they're all over eBay), or you can hit the local PC store and just get an adapter cable (those cables have been around a decade or so because people used to put the 2.5" drives in their Amiga's cuz the 3.5" one wouldn't always fit inside the case).
  • choosemath
  • Born
  • Born
  • choosemath
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

There seems to be a certain finality in the responses...is the functionality of my laptop forever lost?

Although I have to say I like the solution offered both for the consideration on cost and feasibility.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you need the data before fixing the laptop remove the HDD and copy all the data onto you main HDD, careful of illeagal copying etc.. and then replace the HDD and return it to the manufacturer, however be extremly careful to make sure any void if removed stickers are worked around very carefully and be aware of an often hidden screen discretly placed under one of the keys, I wish you luck with this and always learn from ur mistakes! use a back-up drive esspecially on valuable data!
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

In stead of buying a hard drive enclosure you can but a 6 dollar adapter that hooks up to the ide cable in your desktop. When you said the laptop was making noise I hope it was not the hard drive. But about the 6 dollar adapter it has a plug for the notebook hard drive then it goes to a id connector. (Note i had a hard time under standing Axe's post so if he had already mentioned this sorry for the post my bad english)
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good one secureitgroup axe did already mention about the adapter.....Must have spaced out

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts