Memory Problems

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a HP DC7600 Convertible Minitower with a Pentium 4 660.

The computer originally came with 1GB of PC2-4200 DDR2. I recently purchased 4GB of Crucial memory (4x 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2) and put it in. Now, having onboard video this think sucks up 128MB of the ram for video. But, I looked at the system properties and Windows Server 2003 Standard only sees 3.24GB of memory. There was a problem pre-service pack 1 where it would only see 3.5GB of 4GB on EMT64 systems, but I have service pack 1.

The BIOS says it has 4096MB of memory and accurately reads all 4 modules and it passes its POST memory test and BIOS's extended memory test.

Memtest86 sees 3326MB and then when I have it probe it goes up to 3486MB and then I probe again and it sees 4076MB.

I don't think the memory is bad, and it installed correctly. I looked allover the bios and saw nothing for the EMT64 Extended Addressing. Unless it was left out of this BIOS revision.

HP Tech Support has to be the most technologically inept bunch of people that I ever met.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to HP it's the PCI devices storing data at the top of the memory stack. System won't boot if you disable it. Oh-well. If I get a PCI-E video card for it, I';; have 3.5GB of usable memory.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts