Memory upgrade causing blue screen

• smarti34
  • smarti34

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been upgrading my son's pc to enhance his gaming sessions.

To date have the following hware:

ASUS P4S533-MX mobo
Celeron 1.8mhz cpu
MSI MX4000-T128 agp graphics card
2 sticks 256mb pc2100 ddr memory
40gb harddrive
WIN2K op system

Trying to use 1 stick ddr pc3200 1 gb corsair memory. When I boot, I get an error telling my that acpi bios not compliant . I disable in the bios, but still cannot get win2k up.

Suggestions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your motherboard doesn't support PC3200

Quote:

SDRAM and DDRAM COMBO
P4S533-MX has two DDR sockets and two SDR sockets that support up to 2GB non-ECC PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 or PC133/PC100 SDRAM DIMMs.

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket4 ... erview.htm
  • smarti34
  • smarti34

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

The research I have done, including at the Corsair website, states that I can use DDR PC3200, however, it will only run at pc2700 speed. Even their RamGuy states that I should be able to use it, but need to set the bios speed to 333 (which I did). I can see it at boot, all of it shows up, but I cannot get windows up.

I actually had 1 gb of Elixir pc3200 up with windows, but had some random errors occassionally, which I attributed at first to the speed, but later to cheap memory. I don't understand what is different from 2 sticks of 512mb of elixir, vs 1 stick of 1 gb corsair. Both are/were pc3200.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en ... I_BIOS.htm

Using the link provided above, check that your system is compliant with your hardware. If not, you may need to update your BIOS.

Any problems let us know.

##EDIT##

Yes you are correct in stating that when RAM of a higher clock speed than is supported by your mobo is installed, it will run at the highest speed that is supported by the mobo.
  • smarti34
  • smarti34

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Microsoft website was not at all helpful, other than stating that if you installed windows 2000 with ACPI enabled, and later choose to disable it, you need to reinstall windows with ACPI disabled in the bios.

I have been trying to create a dos boot disk for win2k to be able to use the flashe utility on my ASUS install cd. I mainly want to back up the existing bios before trying to update to a newer version...it is a bear of a chore to try to create a disk that just puts you in dos prompt to be able to execute the flash utility.

I can upgrade the bios easily on boot, as the easy flash utility comes with the board, but I don't get a prompt to create a backup...so I go to the ASUS website, and read what they recommend...create a dos boot disk, and copy the flashe program onto it, and then boot from it.

So far unsuccessful. I am a little leary of just upgrading to 1007 of the bios in hopes that my memory problem witll be resolved.

BIG QSTN : Does anyone have any idea as to why the Elixir PC3200 booted ok, but had a few other problems in using it, and I cannot get the CORSAIR PC3200 up?

Thanks. In the meantime, I will keep trying to get my boot disk made.

Sandi
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Static damage? It's been awhile since I've seen this, but 4-5 years ago I was helping my friend build a machine. Similar symptoms to what you're describing. All of it showed up in POST, we could even get into windows occasionally, but we couldn't run anything programs, and windows would crash out after a few minutes.
  • smarti34
  • smarti34

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think so. If I install it with one stick of the pc2100, I can boot, and the system sees the total memory. It is when it is trying to start windows that I have the problem. I would think that if it were damaged, it wouldn't even be seen?

I will keep researching. I hope to hear back from the RamGuy (Corsair's techie forum) soon, or Monarch Computer where I purchased it. In the meantime, I am still researching bios updates.

Thanks.

Sandi
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can I ask an obvious question? OK, I'll grant you that maybe the RamGuy is right and the PC3200 would work, but if it only operates at the PC2700 speed, and "technically" isn't supported by the mobo and is obviously giving you problems, then why not just use the max non-ECC PC2700 that is supported?
  • smarti34
  • smarti34

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

There were several reasons for choosing the pc3200.

1) It should work
2) It was actually $10 less than the PC2700
3) Several sites suggested that it is better to go with the PC3200 for future upgrade of the mobo...it is much faster, and the investment won't be lost.
4) It is here, and to send it back and wait for the pc2700 is time consuming.

I finally was able to flash a newer bios, but still could not boot the igb module. I modified the bios setting from auto to 333mhz, would not boot, so went and added 1 256mg of the old pc2100 I am trying to replace, changed the bios to auto, and I was able to get win2k up, seeing both sticks...of course, I assume it is running at the speed of the pc2100.

I downloaded memtest, and it is running as we speak. I still want to be able to run with just the 1gb of pc3200, as even if it is running at pc2700 speed, it will be faster than what we had to start.

I am still hoping someone out there has an answer. I have been reading a bunch of various techie forums, and some talk about manually changing all sorts of settings...but I am not there just yet.

Thanks...

Sandi
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Can I ask an obvious question? OK, I'll grant you that maybe the RamGuy is right and the PC3200 would work, but if it only operates at the PC2700 speed, and "technically" isn't supported by the mobo and is obviously giving you problems, then why not just use the max non-ECC PC2700 that is supported?

This sort of thing is normally done when looking to Overclock ANTO. O/Cer's tend to buy RAM that is above the spec for their mobo so that when they up the FSB etc ... RAM timings don't become a bottle neck.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the explanation Enigmatic. That makes sense. Never occured to me as I've never gotten into overclocking, but I understand your point.
  • smarti34
  • smarti34

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all again,

I wasn't even thinking of overclocking...never have tried it. I just was thinking of the future ( if I need to go higher than 1gb, I can add it as I only have 2 ddr slots on this board- hence 1 stick of 1gb Corsair.)

But I am thinking I must need to tweak some bios settings to get the 1gb module to run alone. To date, can only get windows 2k up IF I plug 1 stick of the pc2100 back in. The boot up sees both, and windows gets up fine.

I have been reading tons of sites which are still new ground for me. I downloaded cpu-z and sandra to try to figure out what is what.

If anyone has some settings to suggest, I am open and will be eternally greatful.

Thanks.

Sandi
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was starting to wonder about something along those lines. Some older boards have a limit on what capacity any single module of RAM the board can handle.

This can't be a problem though seeing as it says it supports up to 2Gb and only has two slots ... but then again ... stranger things have happened!
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I don't think so. If I install it with one stick of the pc2100, I can boot, and the system sees the total memory. It is when it is trying to start windows that I have the problem. I would think that if it were damaged, it wouldn't even be seen?

Incorrect. We were able to see all 256mb of the static damaged ram when we booted into windows.
  • Wacky7
  • Born
  • Born
  • Wacky7

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Most ASUS motherboard is Not very good with compatible with elixer memory,,, Most of the time your going to haves to set the Cas .Ras and the Latency.. the timming part ..and you do haves to set Match speed with tham also, and the memory is not set right for for AUTO config on BIOS , might haves to set the timming down to 3.0 4-4-4
Same way with singel and Dual ch DDR memory its Odd for Cheap memory does this to us.. Also PQI memory are real bad about Dual ch pc 3200 at 2-2-2-2.. o wel , it good to go with high $$ memory and top brand names, they seam to be more compatible :shock:
  • mrcarper
  • Born
  • Born
  • mrcarper
  • Loc: Honolulu, HI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I stumbled across this thread in Google, and find it interesting, because I'm having a similar--if not exactly same problem. I had 768MB DIMM in my machine; one 256MB (I think PC2100) that came with the machine, and one 512MB PC3200 by Elixir. The Elixir started going bad (like someone had mentioned, YES, the machine WILL boot, and it'll run like it's dying of some horrible disease in the meantime--slow, bluescreening, etc.). I finally downloaded MS's Memory checker, and only in the THOROUGH test did it fail. So I went to CompUSA and bought two PC3200 512MB's...

Tried to put both in, and they show, look fine, and at first, the computer wouldn't boot at ALL (splash screen for 1-2 secs, then BSOD and immediate reboot). After about 10 reboots, I caught the error message (can't remember it, and I'm not home), and found a MS KB article about a registry key you can change, which changes the way device drivers use pooled memory. After that, I was able to get INTO Windows (log in), but the system would still run "sickly", and would BSOD within a few minutes consistently. The only way to solve the problem was to return to the original configuration of 256MB + 512MB. I can't help but wonder if that 256MB weren't a PC2100 if it would be solving the problem... ((shrug)) I will continue working to resolve this problem, and will share my progress, in hopes that it will help you solve yours. Please do the same. ;)

Regards,
Max Carper
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems to me that your system doesn't support PC3200. Try just the stick of PC2100 and see how the system runs.
  • mrcarper
  • Born
  • Born
  • mrcarper
  • Loc: Honolulu, HI

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
It seems to me that your system doesn't support PC3200. Try just the stick of PC2100 and see how the system runs.

Yes, that's kind of how it's appearing. The computer has always worked fine with the PC2100, so I've kind of already established that. It's very odd, but the jury apparently is still out on whether or not PC3200 is supposed to be backwards compatible with boards that take PC2100 or not. It's starting to look like the PC3200 will work, as long as there's a PC2100 in the other slot to explicitly set the bus speed... does that make any sense? As soon as the PC2100 comes out, nothing works, but otherwise, the system seems very happy (runs quickly, no unexplained crashes, memory test returns no failures). Has anyone else had a similar experience with DDR's of differing speeds and/or backwards compatibility issues??
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mrcarper wrote:
It's starting to look like the PC3200 will work, as long as there's a PC2100 in the other slot to explicitly set the bus speed... does that make any sense?

Actually it kind of does make sense. Can you specify the memory speed in the bios? Try putting in the pc3200 and try to set it to pc2100 in the bios.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts