Memory Upgrade

• tulsaimagery
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tulsaimagery

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently purchased a 512MB PC133 SDRAM for my Microstar pentium 3 1.00GHz. I currently have 2 slots both filled with a 128MB SDRAM PC133. I took out one of the sticks and replaced it with the new 512 made sure it was in all the way and booted up. I was able to get all the way into windows then I got an error of some sort didn't get a chance to write it down and then my computer just rebooted. Then I got back into windows again and it rebooted. The next time I was only able to get to the XP login screen and before I could even type my PW to log in it rebooted and it kept on this cycle over and over until I finally turned it off. I took out my old stick of memory still in there and left just the 512 tried again same error. I did check the memory count to see if it was recognizing the memory and it is. After I tried this several times I then got this error on a blue screen:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
If this is the first time you have seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If the problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disbale BIOS memory options such as caching shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical Information
*** STOP: 0x0000000A(0x0000007c, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804F0142)

If anyone has any information they can pass along that can help me get this new memory working I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like bad RAM :(

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried installing just the one module of 512 to see what happens ?
  • omirix
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

bad ram or wrong type :(
  • tulsaimagery
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tulsaimagery

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I did try the 512 by itself and thats when I came accross the fatal error.

I wonder if anyone thinks that perhaps a BIOS upgrade would be of any help I have never upgraded it.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

With RAM prices being so competitive manufacturers at the bottom end of the market do everything they can to cut prices, and this unfortunately leads to some RAM being produced that passed quality control, but doesn't actually work when you stick it in a computer. I think this is probably what has happened in your case.

You shouldn't need a BIOS update to install more RAM , but it's probably worth a go, as is trying the memory in the different slots (before now I've had a stick of RAM that would only work in one of more slots). Your best bet to find out if the memory is okay is to try it in a different computer :roll:
  • tulsaimagery
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tulsaimagery

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will try in a different slot and a differnt computer so I can see but wouldnt the fact that the computer does count the memory when booting up indicate that the memory is good I would think if it was bad it wouldnt even readit on the bootup.

I purchased this from Ebay otherwise I would just go back to the store so before I go through trying to see what the seller will do I want to make sure I have tried everything to make it work.
  • Flux
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just as a side note, if your running 98 still on the P3 it wont run with more than 512mb. Becuase..... back when 98 was first disigned RAM was so expensive and applications needed so little, microsft decided to not support over 512MB of RAM.

So that could be a possible solution...
  • tulsaimagery
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tulsaimagery

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running Windows XP

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts