Mic Help

• qwertybo
  • Born
  • Born
  • qwertybo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay so, I've recently go into recording and what not and decided to get a better mic since I have been using a computer mic. I have a dynamic microphone plugged into my computer but when I record it barely picks up sound. When I say barely I mean it has a little blip when I'm yelling into it. The sound gets abit bigger when I turn the mic boost on. This also happens when I use a better mic, Shure SM 58. Can anyobody tell me how to fix this? Please, I need to record and such. I have no money to use, so anything to do with buying somethnig will not due. But suggest it anyway. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked the volume settings for your input devices? Also, what operating system are you using?
  • qwertybo
  • Born
  • Born
  • qwertybo

Post 3+ Months Ago

The volume for the mic is at max and I even put the mic boost on. Im using a Windows XP Pro but it's a ripped copy so I can't get windows updates.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm afraid we can't help you here then. We don't provide support for pirated software.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It wouldn't matter. The OS isn't the problem anyway. The problem is that you're trying to use a professional grade vocal microphone and a computer and the two don't naturally mix. The primary issues being signal strength and impedance.

This might help you some but it's the only help I intend to offer. I also don't like helping people who use pirated software.

But since this isn't a software issue and just a lack of knowledge issue here you go
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/ ... ectingmics
  • qwertybo
  • Born
  • Born
  • qwertybo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I do have an XLR cord and what not. Also...I don't think it's my fault that it's pirated. My brother uses the computer for most things and I only use it to record. So yeah. But I don't disagree with you for not helping me cause of that. Would getting a USB Condensor Microphone be better? I plan on getting one but I wouldn't want to if the same problem starts to happen. Would the sound waves be much bigger and way easier to record with? I would think so but I don't know. I have XLR Cords and all that stuff to plug the DYNAMIC mic into the computer. My teachers at school also use these to plug into their computers and it works fine. >:\
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well remember what the article said. It's all in what your sound card will support too. For the time being a decent USB condenser mic is probably adequate and a cheap solution. You can help the recording quality by reducing as many external noise sources as possible. I'd even suggest tossing a couple pillows to either side of the mic to absorb/block ambient sound. For the dynamic mic consider a pre-amp as the article suggested. You can pick up a decent cheap one at radio shack.
  • qwertybo
  • Born
  • Born
  • qwertybo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, for when I get a condensor mic I was planning on soundproofing parts of my wall. putting curtains up around it, and or recording inside my closet where there are clothes to absorb excess noises. Sound good?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts