Mic not working

• Absynth
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Absynth
  • Loc: mcallen texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just purchased and installed a Sound Blaster Audigy sound card by Creative (it sucks but it was cheap).
I uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new card. everything works sound-wise, but I cannot get sound out of the mic.
I have checked all system volume levels to make sure it's not muted, but that wasn't it, and everything worked great on my old card.
The only thing I can think is, on the card where I would think I should plug in the mic (same color as mic cable) it looks like it has a pic of a speaker, with a 3. On the other side, there is a pic of a mic, but the color doesn't match up. I have tried using both of them, restarting my computer in between, but that isn't helping either.
Could anyone offer any suggestions? Customer support didn't help me :(

Edit: if i plug it in to the one with a pic of a mic, i can hear the sound from the mic through the speakers constantly, and that isnt what i want either. i just want it to record without coming through my speakers like it used to. all i hear is feedback if i play music now...
  • gizm0
  • Loc: York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey absynth,

It sounds like you got the physical connection problem figured out so now its most likely your equalizer setup. Windows has two sets of volume levels...one for playback and one for recording. If you double click your speaker icon and then select, advanced...you'll see a drop down box with playback selected. if you change this to recording, you'll be able to see all the audio inputs the system has and select which device you want to record from.

Back to the main issue, it sound like you need to mute the MIC in the playback area. double click on the speaker icon and try muting the MIC out and see if that gets rid of our feedback. As long as the MIC is still setup as your input device, you'll be able to record from it without hearing yourself through your own speakers.

Quick note about sound cards: I'm not familiar with the audigy, however I have had a few sound cards in the past that must have used some sort of software based jack mapping. I only had 3 physical jacks but I had the option to change two of the ports to be surround/subwoofer out or line in / MIC in. Its best to check your manual and not always rely on the color of the jack.
  • Absynth
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Absynth
  • Loc: mcallen texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

got it, thanks :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts