Missing space in a 40GB Harddrive

• Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was surprised to find my 40GB Seagate Barracuda (ST340016A) harddrive has lost some space overtime. This is supposed to be a 40GB capacity drive but after i reformat the harddisk (to have a fresh new HD), the reported capacity is now only 31 point-something GB. Where's the other 9GB? I run scandisk, format and reformated time and again using WinXP Administrative Tools>Disk Management, and a handful of disk utilities--all reported in good condition.
Anybody can explain why is this so? Can I still regain the lost 9GB? Please help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your full formatted capacity should be more like 37GB.

Is disk management showing that the partition is taking up the entire disk space?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes lucassix, my disk management shows the the partition has taken up the entire disk. The problem is that it only reported 31GB--not the 37 or 38 something GB that you can expect in a 40GB seagate barracuda.
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a problem like this. I just reformated the HardDrive...I had nothing useful on it anyway...Ant it happend to be a 40 GIG.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my case, Rageweaver, i have it reformated plenty of times. Still the problem persist. I even used DBAN (its a utility that nuke erase a drive as suggested by other tech guros here) in erasing the disk. I thought i might unknowingly set the jumpers to limit just 32 GB (Baracudas do have this option) but when i checked the harddrive, it doesnt even have a jumper (meaning slave). So right now, Im still puzzled...
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...Sorry I could be of assistance XD. I have a 20 gig ATM and it says it only has 18...I was playing Diablo 2 today, and some n00b was saying that he aquired my friends IP adress through the game...Which is rather hard and not a thing you would brag about. He said that he was sending a trogen that installed a HD Eater...It just closes off space on your HD and even after nuking and re-partition it would not recover the lost HD space... Is this possible? I was laughing at him because he was a total n00b in the way he was saying how he would do it.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rageweaver wrote:
Well...Sorry I could be of assistance XD. I have a 20 gig ATM and it says it only has 18...I was playing Diablo 2 today, and some n00b was saying that he aquired my friends IP adress through the game...Which is rather hard and not a thing you would brag about. He said that he was sending a trogen that installed a HD Eater...It just closes off space on your HD and even after nuking and re-partition it would not recover the lost HD space... Is this possible? I was laughing at him because he was a total n00b in the way he was saying how he would do it.

Nope
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i bet there is a 5 or 6 gb partition on that drive also.. use the xp cd to format. if your computer is from dell or hp or anything along them lines then that may be the reinstall/recovry os partition
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have already NUKED my hardrive, CowKiller, using DBAN Dept of Defence standard... so probably any partitions on it were also erase. I even went to a steel junkyard (literally, no kidding) and subjected my harddrive to strong magnetic field (using that monster magnet dangling from a crane)...and still havent recovered my lost 8GB.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this drive formatted in FAT32 or NTFS? Have you tried another hard drive?

You might also try downloading the DOS version of Seagate DiscWizard and see if it can give you the full 40GB

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/dri ... scwiz.html
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I have already NUKED my hardrive, CowKiller, using DBAN Dept of Defence standard... so probably any partitions on it were also erase. I even went to a steel junkyard (literally, no kidding) and subjected my harddrive to strong magnetic field (using that monster magnet dangling from a crane)...and still havent recovered my lost 8GB.

...Your despirate over a 40 gig lol. Why don't you buy a new 80 gig for like 40 dollars?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is probably the principle of the matter. Why buy a new drive if you have one already? Of course it is easier to buy a new drive but that doesn't solve the problem at hand and you learn nothing in the process.
  • Rageweaver
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Rageweaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

*In Japanese accent*Yes...Sorry master...

But really, I am running everything I do off of my 20 gig and it has like 1 or 2 gigs missing off of it. 20 gigs...With 2 gone.. That is 10% lol. But he lost about 25%, I feel bad. I had a 40...But I shocked it and killed it accidental lol.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Certain viruses can steal space and remove it from the NTFS table. Try a low-level format of the drive and repartition it with forcefully specifiying the number of cylinders (turn off the BIOS autodetect).
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, it makes sense, GT500Shlby. Ill try the low level format. I do really suspect a virus may have hit me in the past and didnt realized it hijacked remarkable space on my harddrive. I hope you dont mind me asking too much but how do i do that low level format? can i do that in Win XP DOS shell?

You know, its easy to buy new half-terra bytes hard disk, but this one's really kick my curriosity ou of me. i was really baffled where this missing space went. sorry guys if i have annoyed some of you :)...thanx for great advices.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem.

For low level format or "Zeroing" the drive go here: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ ... _what.html

I woulnd't pay for any software to fix such a small drive. You can get a 160Gb hdd for well under $100.

Let us know how you make out.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're right GT500Shlby. your suggestion resolved the problem. i downloaded the utility from seagate website and run a "zeroing" (low level format) on my drive. and viola! i regain back tho lost space. so it's definetly a virus attack incedent way back which changed the ntfs table....salamat amigo. thank you very much
  • StewRodd
  • Born
  • Born
  • StewRodd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I own a Maxtor Maxline iii 300GB Sata drive and experiencing the same problem with a drop of 20.53GB. The system is due for Re-formatting as there is a problem with XP Pro Media Centre running, as some Windows programs like 'My Computer' in Explorer take about 3mins to load or just freezes and the Media Centre don’t load at all! The system is always being checked with System Mechanic and shows no faults! I’m a bit dubious about re-formatting again, as I don’t know how much more GB’s I’m going to lose, as I use the computer as a multi media system, involving burning from VHS to DVD which use a large amount of HD space.

I see that Seagate as ‘DiscWizard Starter Edition and DiscWizard for Windows’ for there Hard Drives and I wonder if these would work with the Maxline hd or if there is an equivalent software package available (hopefully free as money is a bit of an issue)?

Your help would be most appreciated!
:?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check the Maxtor site and see if they offer any utilities. If not, other, 3rd party products exist on the world wide web.

As for the other problems, check for viruses and other malware. Also, make sure you have a complete and correct set of drivers for your machine. Also check the programs you have installed, etc...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts