MOBO issue?

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's wrong with my home PC.

I barely ever shut off my system unless I'm gone for an extended time period. Sunday evening I shut my system down and when I went to turn it on on Monday morning it booted up into the BIOS menu into the advanced tab. I went to exit and save changes and it's supposed to reboot but instead it just shut down. So I booted up again and it took me back to the BIOS menu. I tried to change my CPU speed or RAM speed to auto and nothing again when I went to save and exit it would just shut down.

So I booted up again and this time I went I made sure to reset to defaults and then clicked on save & exit and once again it shut down without rebooting.

I've also shut down my system and removed the mobo battery for a couple of hours and tried putting it back to in to see if it would reset the settings to defaults but nothing. It's totally ignoring my changes.

I am completely baffled. I'm thinking my mobo is faulty. I checked through the BIOS if anything else looked strange but it seems to be detecting both my master & slave drives along with all other hardware I have installed.

I'm going to go tonight to buy a new mobo and replace it to see what happens. My biggest fear is having lost all my files from my hdd but since it's detecting it I really doubt I've lost anything but I don't want to wipe that thought out of my head just in case. Any suggestions on what to do next?

I'm dying without my home system :cry:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you getting any beeps when your computer is turned on and goes through post? If so what is the sequence of the beeps and what is the BIOS manufacturer?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don’t recommend buying a new motherboard, the problem could indeed be anything and the beeps would be of help if you know what your motherboard beep codes are (check manual or request codes from manufacturer)!

I recommend this:

1.Check that the fans on your motherboard, cpu and gpu are working.

2.If working the most likely thing to fail (other than HD) is your power supply unit (can you swap it with another for testing?)

3.If points 1 and 2 fail then oh dear, oh dear if it comes to this then we have to strip down your computer and test it installing one component at a time and a motherboard manual with beep codes or better still on board LED will be needed - you can request this from the manufacturer.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before buying a new board I would try putting a new battery in.
  • Redigieren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Redigieren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
I don’t recommend buying a new motherboard, the problem could indeed be anything and the beeps would be of help if you know what your motherboard beep codes are (check manual or request codes from manufacturer)!

I recommend this:

1.Check that the fans on your motherboard, cpu and gpu are working.

2.If working the most likely thing to fail (other than HD) is your power supply unit (can you swap it with another for testing?)

3.If points 1 and 2 fail then oh dear, oh dear if it comes to this then we have to strip down your computer and test it installing one component at a time and a motherboard manual with beep codes or better still on board LED will be needed - you can request this from the manufacturer.

How does the power supply affect her problem?
(just wondering for the better of my knknowledge

I had the same problem on my motherboard a few months ago forgot what i did but i did try taking out the battery like you did. I chuckled at that.

What is the model of you motherboard?
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

The power supply could be faulty and right after boot it might die out thus causing the system to just shutdown. From the looks of it I would be guessing its the power supply although I can't be sure.

As for your HD if you have another system you could plug it into that one to access the data if you need it.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xel02 wrote:
Quote:

The power supply could be faulty and right after boot it might die out thus causing the system to just shutdown. From the looks of it I would be guessing its the power supply although I can't be sure.

Bang on thanks Xel02. PSU can indeed behave like that from experience and I wasted money on a Mobo I did not need but like we concurred it could still be anything.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In fact a PSU would be tops in the cause for that problem ,along with battery,
Power supply's are often the cause as stated ,and often overlooked.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys.

So I fixed the problem. No I wasn't getting any beeps and I had removed the battery already and put it back in and nothing.

The problem was sooooo stupid. My mobo seemed to have forgotten what my CPU speed was, so what I did was try each and everyone of the speeds it was listing until finally one worked.

I love computers

And to answer your questions, my mobo is an ASUS A7N8X-X
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

i love a happy ending .

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts