modems and dual boot with Redhat 9

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have questions about Redhat Linux 9. First, Redhat does not recognize my modem. What do i have to do for it to recognize my modem? I bought a Linux for Dummies book today and it told me how to connect to the internet. It says no modem found. I am not doing anything else in Redhat without a modem. The name of my modem is PCTEL Platinum V.90 modem.

Second, I went i installed Windows XP first and then Redhat. Windows XP did not show up for some reason. As of right i took Redhat off of my computer so i can use my modem with Windows to connect to the internet. The dual boot i can live with. On the other hand i'm more worried about my modem not be able to connect to internet like ozzu.com. Please reply back here if someone can help me. Thanks
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

damn, another question already......
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then don't reply to my postes if you don't want to help me.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find any modem drivers. I found ones in tar.gz. It's called pctel-0.9.6. I have no idea how to use a tar.gz file. I only know how to use a zip file, Winrar and installer packets. If i download that tar.gz file. Can someone please explain in something like step by step instructions to install the driver? Thanks.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got some instructions but i don't understand on to do it when i put Redhat back on my computer. Here are the instructions.

This package contains the PCTEL driver for various PCTEL modems for linux.
It is meant for kernel 2.4.x, up to 2.4.18 so far.

Installation
------------
0) Unpack the tarball by typing "tar zxvf pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz"

1) Go into that directory by typing "cd pctel-0.9.6"

2) Find out what chipset you have in your board:

3) ./configure
Options:

--with-hal=hal
Select one of: pct789, cm8738, i8xx, sis, via686a

--with-kernel-includes=/path/to/my/kernel-sources/include
If you don't have your kernel sources at /usr/src/linux, specifiy
your includes

4) Compile the modules by typing "make"

5) If everything went fine, get root by typing "su"

7) Install the drivers by typing "make install"

8) You are now ready to use your modules.
Type "insmod pctel" and "insmod ptserial".

You should see in your logs ("tail /var/log/messages") something like:
May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel initialization. Country code is 2.
May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel device[00:11.0](0x88) found "PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 01)" IOBASE 0xe800 IRQ 9.
May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel driver version 0.9.6 [5.05c-4.27.215 (09-14-2001)]] (PCT789) (2001-08-18) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled.
May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel driver built on [Linux 2.4.8 i686 unknown] with [2.95.3].
May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: ttyS15 at 0xe800 (irq = 9) is a PCtel

Notes:
You can always uninstall the modules by typing "make uninstall". If you
need to recompile the modules, "make clean" and "make" are your friends.

Questions, Infos, Support
-------------------------
see README

---
Jan Stifter, 2002-03-04
j.stifter@[no-spam]medres.ch
http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/pctel/

2001-08-05: Updated for Linux 2.4.7.
- Daniel Caujolle-Bert <segfault@club-internet.fr>

2001-08-08: Some bugs fixes/cleanups.
- Daniel Caujolle-Bert <segfault@club-internet.fr>

2001-10-29: some fixes/cleanups.
- JS

I really want my modem to work with Redhat. I'm doing everything i can so my modem can work. I don't understand them instructions. Can someone please help me some time today? Thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you not understand in the instructions?
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i were DS12, I would be confused by steps 2 (no idea how to find the chipset) and 3 (which lines do i include and what do they mean?)...steps 1 and 4-7 are self explanitory (somewhat) and make sense as long as he is in the folder where he downloaded "pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz" to...as far as gzips (To: DS12->) you can copy and paste the lines in your instructions to unzip (steps 0 and 1) (gzips - or "tar.gz" are the unix and linux equivalents of zips ".zip" for pc)...you had to set your root password when you installed redhat linux (for step 5 type this: su root" and hit enter and it will ask for your root password)..there is no step 6 ( :) ) so skip to step 7...use a terminal :)
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

ps - "tar.gz" files should unzip in windows with winzip or an equivalent...not that that wiull do you much good with 2 OS's :)
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok Bigwebmaster. You ask me what i don't understand. The only part that i understand how to do is download the file. Everything else. I'm lost. Is there any type of modem drivers that i could use for Redhat without typeing out all of the commands. I just had Redhat back on my computer. I open up the shell winodw. I type this. "tar zxvf pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz and i get It cannot find or something like. So i typed it again without the ". I get no such file.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is because its supposed to be:

tar -zxvf pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz

Also make sure you type that in the same directory that

pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz

is located.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I burn the pctel to a CD. It's not on my hard drive. Where would pctel be located?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's hold up for a minute. I put this topic as modem and dual boot for Redhat 9 and Windows XP. This is getting to be a pain in the ass. Windows XP does not show up in the boot loader. So every time i want to connect the internet. I have to uninstall Redhat and install Windows XP for me to connect to the internet. I got better thing to do then uninstalling 1 OS and install another OS. Do i have to type anything in the command line of Redhat? Where is the command line located at in Graphical mode? What would i type in at the command for a dual boot? I have not played with Redhat because of my modem does not work. That's strange and wierd. Normally most OSes does not recognize what's build in the motherboard. My sound card is build in the motherboard and it works. My modem is card and it does not work. I found out my modem does not have a chipset. Just the name i told you guys PCTEL Platinum V. 90 modem. That's it no chipset. Does it make a difference whether i try to work with the driver on CD or on hard drive? Please reply back. Thank You Bigwebmaster. I have not tryed what you told me. I seen where i was messing up tar-zxvf and so on. I was not putting in the -.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just don't get why you are trying to run before you can even walk. All
the things you are trying to do are both VERY advanced and REALLY
unnecessary. Why are you trying to do all these things and then do
it all the hard way?
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just put redhat on my pc yesterday, and didn't have a problem with most of it, i posted a step by step for the sections of your instructions that i didn't understand (as a 1 day beginner) and i don't really think you looked too hard at it. as far as the question you had about the terminal, it is VERY easy to find in the menu (the little red hat in gnome) which is positioned right where the windows start menu is. as a beginner, i can understand why the chipset deal might be confusing, and the install conditions might be difficult too, but unzipping a tar.gz file is easy, and i would imagine the driver is fairly easy to install. you need to look for information on "how to install a bin file" or "how to unzip a gz file." if you paste these lines into a goole search, you'll find dozens of links that tell you how to do it.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know where the terminal is. It's under system tools. Every time i try to unzip a tar.gz file. I get no such file. How did you get your modem to work in Redhat?
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

h mm...follow your instructions for the install of the drivers...if you have an internal, it should recognize it, but if its external, you'll have to figure out how to install it yourself (i mean read the instructions your posted and ask questions about PARTICULAR steps you didn't unserstand)...if you are careful to go STEP BY STEP...you'll get it working
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do have a really big question. This is what i typed. Unpack the tarball by typing "tar zxvf pctel-0.9.6.tar.gz"

I even tryed typeing it with a - after the tar. I get no such file. I been told number of times i have to be in the folder where it is located. I don't understand how to get in the folder where it is located. Can you or someone help me??
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what i think. The way i'm going. I don't think i will never get my modem working in Redhat.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really need some help. Someone gave me instructions and i still don't understand.

without looking in the manual,
-v would probably be 'verbose'.

dsantamassino12, you'll need to calm down a bit.
You found a driver, now all you need is to install it.
-put the cd into your drive.
-mount it within redhat, if it does not have 'automounting'
(see man mount for details)
-copy that tar.gz file to your hard disk with cp. like 'cp /mnt/cdrom/xxx.tar.gz /tmp'
type in 'cd /tmp' (that space might be important).
-type in the above tar command.
-switch into the newly created folder by doing 'cd newFolder' (the one it said in the installation file. don't put a / between cd and the folder this time)
-type in './configure'
-follow the rest of the instructions.

so long,

Can someone help?? Please help. Thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those instructions are extremely clear and I do not see how they could be any clearer. He told you step by step exactly what you need to do. He even told you exactly what to type in and when. Those are pretty simple and to the point and if you cannot figure it out by those instructions I really think Redhat or any other Linux Operating System is not for you right now. Linux O/S are really for the tech savvy, unlike Windows which usually doesn't require any technical issues. I feel you are way over your head as even the basic problems are not feasible for you.

I have two suggestions for you. Get a beginner Redhat book and read it from cover to cover... twice. If you start reading the book and it does not make sense, either get another book or start somewhere for which you can grasp. Like maybe go back to the Microsoft Windows O/S and try to become better at that by getting a beginning book.

If you still have problems with the most basic things after that I strongly suggest you take a class in beginning computers somewhere or find a tutor who can walk you through and hold your hand during the whole process.

I really do not see anything else we need to discuss on this thread as all the answers are in this thread now. I really hope you can get past your problem, but there is really not much more people can do for you if you cannot understand those clear instructions above. This thread is now locked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts