Monitor light is blinking,computer light is on but...???!!!

• abu
  • Born
  • Born
  • abu

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer was working fine and when i moved it to another room it refused to start. here are the symptom
-Monitor light is blinking and no display
-computer light is on but it is not starting
-tryied ejecting the cd rom but it's not responding
-i can hear the processor's fan
-triyed the monitor with another pc and it worked fine
-No beebs at all

It seems that the computer is not doing any activity when i start it except for the light being on.

what could be the problem and how to fix it

Thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, the first thing i would try is resetting the CMOS. To do this either unplug the power to your computer, and then press the power button to dischage all remaining power, and then remove the CMOS battery.(its the only battery on the motherboard) Next press the power button again(while the battery is out and comp isnt pluged into power) Then replace the battery and the power cable and power on the pc. The other way is look on the mother board for the CMOS reset/normal jumper. Move the jumper to the two pins that are for reset. press the power button.(for this leave the power cord pluged in) Thne replace the jumper to the two pins that are for normal. power on the computer. Let me know if this works. there are several other things it could be but this is the most common.

poly
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, and if you have an anit-static band i would use it for this since your in direct contact with the motherboard.

poly
  • abu
  • Born
  • Born
  • abu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'v tried what you told me but it didn't work :(. i have the same problem with another pc, which was not used for some time exactly the same problem. i hope my motherboard or the processor is not spoiled ?!!!
i checked the power supply fan and it was wroking fine and the processor's fan too.

by the way when i press the power button to switch off the computer it doesn't work so i have to turn off the power from the outlet completley does that help you in troubleshooting this problem.

Thank you for your cooperation
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

While you are in there, carefully reset everything (in particular the video card if not an integrated one) and check all cables are secure.

Try starting with the monitor powered off at first.

If you hold the button in for a bit, does it eventually shut off?

Have you recently had electrical issues in your house while these computers were plugged in (on or off doesn't matter)?
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, make sure the video card is ALL the way in.(pull it out and push it back in) Does it beep at all?

poly
  • McJepp
  • Born
  • Born
  • McJepp

Post 3+ Months Ago

This sounds to me like the Motherboard or VGA card has died, possibly the CPU.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could possibly be that, but it sounds like the video card is just lose.

poly
  • abu
  • Born
  • Born
  • abu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all

the videw card is built in, i have only network card and the modem. i removed them and put them back but it didn't work. and there is no beebs at all even when i remove the ram it does not give any beebs. i can switch off the monitor normally but the computer dosn't get switched off once i on it then i can't shut it through the computer power button i have to dissconnect the power cord from the outlet. i checked both the fans (processor & power suply) they are working fine.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried reseating the CPU, RAM and making sure all cables are connected fully.

If everything looks fine, it could be that whilst you've moved it you've accidentaly damaged your CPU.

Not for definate, but a possability.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This might sound off-the-wall, but is there a CD in the CD-ROM, currently? If so, there is a little hole in the front of your CD_ROM drive. Straighten a paperclip and stick it in that hole until the drawer opens. Remove the CD and physically push the drawer closed. Reboot.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you checked to make sure the power cord going from the powersupply to the motherboard is fully connected?

poly
  • abu
  • Born
  • Born
  • abu

Post 3+ Months Ago

about the CD , there is no CD in the CD-ROM , the problem is the PC is not doing any activity so the CD-ROM is not responding, about the cable from the power supply to the mobo is properley connected . Can it be the damaged cpu , i wonder because it happened with another PC also and it was not moved to a different location. I have tried reseating every thing but nothing happened , this problem is realy straing one hope with your cooperation we can find a solution

Thanks all
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I can suggest is trying the components in other PCs and seeing if they work. Obviously, the one that doesn't work is the one causing your problem.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had 4 fried CPU's in my time, and none of them caused the computer not to boot, except for one, which entered SED* mode when I forgot to reconnect the CPU fan.

The 3 that died of natural causes simply exhibited strange behavior, or would lock up randomly.

The point is that this sounds like something got jarred loose during the move, like Poly and the others said. Double check EVERYTHING is seated properly. Make sure you plugged the mouse into the mouse port and the keyboard into the keyboard port and not the other way around.

Check the inside of your case for loose screws that may be lying against your motherboard.

My experience is that CPU's RARELY die outright. They fight to the very last breath.

* SED: Smoke Emitting Device
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

This doesn't sound like anything is fried, I would check all the connections again. Your HDD access light does it flash at all?

I had a similiar problem with my IBM PC, I plugged in the IDE ribbon backwards and the computer refused to boot, it just sat there doing nothing.

I would check all your connections again to see if and of the ribbons fell out or something like that.
  • asadullah
  • Born
  • Born
  • asadullah

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you mentioned above,that you r using your built-in video adapter.
i think now you should have to try with another video adapter i mean with an extra agp/vga.
might be it work.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts