Monitor making noise

• JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whenever I set my screen resolustion to 1024x768 my monitors makes this high pitched, very annoying sound. Whenever I change it to any other resolution it doesn't make the noise. What could be wrong with it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No expert on the monitors but i would say that when you are changing it to 1024 x 768 it is putting the componets under stress.
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

right now it is set at 1152x864 and there is no noise and that is even a larger resolution than 1024x768
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW this is a odd problem i have no further input. Take it apart and see where it is comeing from just be carfull as you probally know. AND dont wear a grounding strap that will kill you faster in a monitor.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

No offence to SecureITGroup, but i'd seriously recommend NOT taking your monitor apart. Unless your trained in TV/monitor repair it won't help you as you won't be able to fix it. TV's and monitors have some seriously high and dangerous voltages flying about in them, even when the monitor is off.

I'd suggest are try changing the refresh rate and see if that stops it. Failing that the only thing you can do is take it too a good TV repair outlet and see if its faulty.

You can change the refresh rate by right clicking your desktop and click properties (or Control Panel>Display) then click Settings > Advanced then hopefully you should have a monitor tab. On here it may say something lik 60 hertz. Try changing it about and see if the noise stops. Ideally it should be set above 75 Hertz as anything below this tends to cause flicker & eyestrain.

S
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No offence is taken the advice was wise. When the monitor is taken apart you can ground the crt coil to the case and by shorting it out the voltage is gone kinda scary and sounds scary but it has to be done when you are fixing things. Always know what to touch and what to not touch. But Duckit is right if you are not a tv/mon repair mann dont attempt this mission. Rember you arent gunna get zapd by looking at something. Learning takes place from trial and error or a book.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, everyones ears are different. The monitor, believe it or not, makes a screech anytime it is on. I have extremely good ears and I hear monitors, tv's, even radios operating. Most people don't hear these waves but they are there. The sound your monitor emits when it is at 1024x768 may be within your hearing range while the others aren't. If your monitor isn't flickering or discoloring I wouldn't worry to much about it. Besides, 1280x1024 is the best...lol.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok monitors like tv are under high stress at all time and have incredibly high valtage. i had a tv do that to me for about a week before it went out.. i if memory serves correctly it was a capacitor either way cost 80 bucks to fix back then. hope thats the case i suggest asking a pro .
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the help. the monitor works fine. everyone can hear the noise though. you can hear it throughout the entire house. it also makes the noise when the computer is booting up. i dont want to try to take it apart so i might just have a professional take a look at it.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could always buy a new monitor also. Sell the one you got to some stupid kid and use the money to buy a new one. You can get 'em cheap at best buy and such.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jake - did you try DuckIT's suggestion above about changing the refresh rate?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had that problem once, they one day it stressed out and went kablooey. THe 'capaciters' overloaded and Had to get it fixed (the monitor board), was a lil defective, then I just went to plasma :\

wat brand?
  • garth
  • Born
  • Born
  • garth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem at the same resolution, so I doubt there is something wrong with your monitor--rather, there is something wrong with the design.. My monitor is a dell P792, but the problem occurs in Linux and I don't know how to change the refresh rate.
  • AthenasBane
  • Student
  • Student
  • AthenasBane
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea Truce, I can hear tvs, but not monitors. It may just make that noise because thats the noise it makes on those settings....sorry most useless thing i have ever posted...
  • nito_2099
  • Born
  • Born
  • nito_2099

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know I just had this problem and I was turning my monitor off and on all the times but I never would have thought about changing my monitor refresh rate because I always set it to the highest and never come back to it. The second I changed it the noise disappeared
Thank You for the help
  • durerbrigade
  • Born
  • Born
  • durerbrigade

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not certain, but perhaps it has something to do with the location of the monitors, maybe theres a magnetic disturbance naturally occuring wherever it happens to be. I have two monitors in two separate rooms about ten or fifteen feet apart, and both of them make noise periodically. Almost like a whistle. I'm way out in the boonies, and there are hundreds of feet between this house and the next. I've been loosely reading about RFID's and their interference by a Faraday Cage effect, perhaps something like that is interfering with the electronics inside of the monitors. This problem is most apparent in CRD monitors, as I've never experienced it with an LCD or anything else. Just a thought.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts