Monitor will not display 256 colors

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend's computer is running Windows 98, and I know it is at least a 256-color monitor, however, Windows is not allowing me to have more than 16 colors. This wouldn't matter if the drivers for her cable modem depended on a CD that needs a 256-color monitor to run. Can anyone please help me?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh... i suggest you download a driver for your graphic card...
Just do the Update for windows...it should work like a charm
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep I agree with Ragnar78 Except I like to find out the make and model of the card (google any numbers and names i can see on it) then get the drivers from the card makers website.
Since it looks like the computer in question is offline untill this gets fixed getting the drivers burned to a CD may be the only way to fix this unless you have windows updates on a CD or a phone connection on said computer :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it's definitely a driver issue. I typically follow joebert's method. The downside to Ragnar78's suggestion is if you don't have an internet connection, Windows update won't identify the missing driver for the machine in question.

Another resource I use frequently is http://www.video-drivers.com/

They require a free sign-up registration during which they try to get you to subscribe to all sorts of things. No problem though, just say no to everything and they'll still mail you the access information. They do not spam your email either. I've been using them for a couple years. The interesting part is they only have one username and password for everybody. But it's against my principles to just give it to you. It is free though and a fairly quick process. You get the email immediately in most cases.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, if you have the name of the company that produced the card, the web site will most likely have the drivers. I have had a diamond and Geforce, and both sites had drivers.
  • Teardropdesigns
  • Teardropdesigns
  • Loc: U.S.A

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reinstall your graphic and video drivers.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.driverguide.com

Username: //removed
Password: //removed

Sorry to remove the access stuff, albeit relatively common knowledge, but we hold to a standard here. If they need access, let them go through the proper channels to get it. ATNO/TW
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Addendum to my above edit on SecureITGroup's reply above. Driverguide is an excellent resource for drivers and they are true to their word. They will not spam your email which they require to download drivers. I have used their resource for a couple of years and have not ever had one spam email I can trace back to them. However, OZZU will not permit the posting of access info regardless of how generic it is.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh I see about the Driver guide access being removed. Never knew could not post it on this site my bad. That is not my specific id it is given to anyone who signs up. But if that is the rule here it goes so with that my bad. Rules are rules and are not ment to be broken.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No prob. I assumed you'd understand.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts