Monitor will not initialize/ No Bios Screen

• Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello. I recently bought a new motherboard and CPU for my computer and tried to install them. When I go to turn on the computer the power LED turns on and the HDD LED turns on (which is good I think). However, I get nothing on my monitor at all. Just black.

I have tried clearing the CMOS jumper, setting the jumper cap at location (2-3) like the manual says. The only problem is that the manual is not clear as to what pins are 1-2 and what pins are 2-3. Its all very confusing. Can anyone help me as to why I'm getting nothing on my monitor (not even a BIOS screen)??

The good news is that I re-installed my old motherboard and cpu and everything works fine. My video card works, my power supply works, my hard drive works, my ram works. Everything works fine, but i really want to get my new motherboard and cpu working.

New specs:
Motherboard is a chaintech ULi M1689 ATX Motherboard
CPU I'm trying to install is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Thanks for any replies.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• samsung
  • samsung

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello

1-2 normal
2-3 clear cmos

Let me know when u on the system ,the pattern of beeps .Since this is very important for diagonising the problem

it may be a ram problem ,cpu fan problem .

or
check whether u have an onboard graphics adaptor and also whether u have installed an agp card.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

What video card are you using? What size is the psu you are using?

WC
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, the pattern of beeps is a very clear strong beep every second. Beep, 1 second, Beep, 1 second, Beep......like that.

There is no onboard graphics adapter, but I did have an agp card installed. I'm guessing it's not a ram problem because the ram works fine with my other motherboard that I'm using right now. It could be a cpu fan problem -- i'm not sure what I would do there.

Video Card I'm using is ATI RADEON 9800 Pro, and my psu is 350 Watts.
I think I saw a tiny puff of smoke come from around the middle of the motherboard when I first turned it on, but I didn't hear a popping noise or anything. There was no noise, just that little bit of smoke coming from it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does your video require external power?

BTW: ANY smoke is BAD!
  • samsung
  • samsung

Post 3+ Months Ago

probably it might be a cpu problem.Check whether u have inserted the cpu correctly ,normally it ill fit properly.Check whether the fan is seated properly.

If the cpu is bad there are beeps and then continious beeps of differrnt kind.Check the cpu in other mobo is possible.

re smoke ,some chip might have burnt off.

Check whether the ram slot is burned
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an ATI 9800 AIW Pro in my one computer and it requires external power or else it beeps. But that usually puts a message on the monitor "Please insert external power to video card"
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smoke is definitely bad and you probably fried your motherboard or one of the components such as the video card.

Your motherboard has an Award BIOS, check this site and see if any of the beeps match.
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articl ... ard%20BIOS
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

That will help in resolving where the problem is. The only codes I saw that were similar to yours related to a video problem.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 9800 does require an external power supply, same type as the floppy uses, I would guess that you have damaged your video card in some way, as you said you saw a small puff of smoke from the middle of the board, I would suggest trying another card, see if it boots.

WC
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks like your motherboard is not passing POST.
This happened to me when i built my computer, turned out, I just forgot a plug. Make sure everything is plugged in correctly.

Try your video card on a computer you know works, like switch your video card with a friend's. See if his video card works on yours, and see if yours works on his.

Pos the results.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts