Mother Board & Video Card Advice!

• EvilMo
  • Born
  • Born
  • EvilMo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey! m8s!

I'm looking to buy a new motherboard and a new video card. I'm going with the latest /newest amd proccessor and was told to use the new ausus K8N motherboard and gforce express video card/? i think thats what they called it. any advice would be appreciated! thanks m8s!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is your current system and your budget? What will thise computer be used for? If you answer those questions, I'll be able to give you more information and recommendations.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have an old system that you plan on "reusing" components from, make sure they will work. CD-ROMS, network cards, sound cards and hard drives are generally ok to use in newer systems, but RAM and your PSU (If you plan on reusing it) might cause problems. For instance, if your old system is an AMD K6-2 500 with PC100 RAM, that RAM is worthless for your new mobo. It won't even fit. Similarly, if your old PSU is 250W or less, you can kiss that goodbye as well (won't provide near enough power)
  • EvilMo
  • Born
  • Born
  • EvilMo

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
What is your current system and your budget? What will thise computer be used for? If you answer those questions, I'll be able to give you more information and recommendations.

My current system is an compaq presario (4-5 yrs old) and it's a p3 667mghz. i'm running xp pro but it came with win98se and It only came with 15gig hd. I've already upgraded a few things on it. LG 16x DVD-Rom Drive 52x32x52x and i've also upgraded to a second drive witch is LG DVD SuperMulti Drive (Newest Drive) Suports Dual Layer DVD Disc's. I baught 2 brand new 200gig maxtor performence hd's with 8meg cache. I've already partitioned both hd's with 2 partitions each witch is a total of 4 partitions. I'm looking into running a dual boot system with xp pro and windows 2000 pro. i'm not sure if i have to install windows 2000 pro on my c:\ and then install xp on my e:\ ? other then that all, i need left is to upgrade my motherboard and a new video card for my games like doom 3 ect. and maybe need to upgrade my power supply? and ram/memory. thats pretty much it. I'm looking into using this computer for almost everything from movie editing to playing the best games. I want a fast pc that can play most popular games with ease and have no problems at all. Thanks ! 8)
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on the model but generally compaq pc's will not have a standard atx case so you will need

New Atx case with at least 350w psu
motherboard
cpu
ram
video
sound

Upto you what you want to do, you may just be after a cheap board which nowdays you can buy with video, sound all on the motherboard, just depends what you want out of it and how much you want to spend.

There is plenty of threads in this forum to search for what components are the best and will help you make a choice of what you want.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, heres a rough idea of what might be good for you.

CPU : Athlon 64 3500+http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939_cpus.html#acp_2d101_2dam

Motherboard : Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ASUS_Socket_939.html

GFX Card : Leadtek WinFast PCX6600GT-TDH Extreme Edition GeForce PCX6600 GT http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600_GT.html

Any good ram will do, i have GeIL Ultra Ram which works fine. Once the 6600GT starts to strugle at games you can upgrade with another one due to the SLi capibility of the motherboard and grapfics card. Just make sure you get the same make of Grapfics Card else everything will go horribly wrong.

*plum*

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts