Motherboard Burnout?

• Ian
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not sure if my motherboard is broken yet, wouldn't want to throw it away if it can be fixed! I tried installing RAM and started to smell omnious(?) burning. I took the new ram out and when the computer starts it just makes a beeping sound. I get no video. I dont smell burning though. Is there some way to test to see what the problem is? Or is beeping obviously burnt together wires and stuff 0_0
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this smell/smoke coming directly from the mobo or the power supply? Also if the mobo is new and you can smell something it is usually the new mobo smell burning off of the connectors nothing to worry about. If not you could try another motherboard. If from the power supply try cleaning it out. taking a screw driver holding the fans to keep from spinning as this is possible to damage the fan motors. If this does not solve it you probably shouldnt use it anymore. As for the ram make sure that the ram is inserted correctly and is pushed all the way into the slot as this can cause the ram to be damage and maybe damage to the mobo. Good luck with this.
  • Ian
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The power idea seems to be irrelevant, the smell only started with adding the new ram, the ram became extremely hot before the smell also. SO i booted without and ram and im getting the same thing, how do i know which way to put the ram in, only one way will fit, so i do that, unless i really pound it in the other way :)

And if it did burn out, will the other components (HD, other ram, ethernet cards) still be safe? Or will they just burn the new board 0_0
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only way to get a stick of ram to burn and smoke and get hot is if you put it in the wrong way!! ive seen this many a time, and yes it will beep with no ram, Thats cause there is no ram!! lol
  • Ian
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did put the ram back after taking it out, it fit right in only it still beeped, should i try shoving it in the way it wont click in? or is it just me and it shoudl be clicking in and im just...thinking wrongly :)
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

once you put it in backwards you overheat it, you can kiss your ram good by. Look at the notchs in the ram and they look for the bumps in the ram slot on the motherboard, you'l know which way it goes.
  • ausmith
  • Born
  • Born
  • ausmith
  • Loc: FBKS

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like you cooked your RAM. If this was new RAM what happened to the old RAM? Did you try putting that back in to see if it still worked. If you don't have the old RAM I would get new RAM, making sure that it is the correct RAM for your mb and see if you can get it past the POST.

Later,
  • Ian
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried the old ram too...:(

new problem, it wont start up now, the sound clicks, the keyboard lights clickon and then off, i think this is a simple error though...
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like the video card isn't seated properly. Or no monitor pluged in

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts