Motherboard = destroyedboard?

• limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

well i got a brand spanking new motherbaord today (by my standard), it is an ASUS A8N-E. Anyway I went out for work today and when I got back; I discovered that my friend was already there and had been waiting for me. All seemed well until I noticed my not-so-techie-friend had opened the case (motherborad that is), grabbed the thing out of MY antistatic back and had felt her up.... HE DIDNT REALISE HOW POTENTIALLY HARMFUL AND EXPENSIVE THAT IS! Of course naturally he denied touching anything, until i I found out he had touched the heastsink, PCI-E and PCI plugs, bare sockets and possibly committed other similar horrifying epics. I know that you can't do that with used motherboards because they have been polarised, but can you do that to brand new unused motherboards to a certain extent?

Do you think he has potentially fried my mobo.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You won't know until you hook it up.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you'd probably better power it up to test it. You probably don't need to plug in much else besides a video card and a little RAM. Beep error codes should tell you it is in working order.

I have found that touching mobos usually doesn't kill them. Shorting them out will kill them. Just touching them, however, probably isn't a good idea but probably will not kill your motherboard.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! :D

I was kinda killing myself there, cause electronics in new zealand cost a s*** load! Last question, do you guys think that the mobo will have any glitches because of the tothe touching invident :?:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No. I've worked in electronics for 9 years and I man handled circuit boards all the time. You should be fine.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanxxx alot Grinch! Now I can sleep in peace, knowing that once I get everything together tomorrow, it will have the sounds of life!
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the motherbaord works like a charm! got a question though, can my Asus a8n-e support DDR2 ram, if so do you think that it's worth it? I am buying pc parts from this place http://www.c1com.co.nz, if my budget is $190 nz dollars what ram do you think i should get?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it does not
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

well that's cool, ddr should do fine enough for me :D Oh last question; since I got no more questions do I leave this thread alone or can i somehow terminate it?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

this thread is fine where it is.. if anyone needs help the same way you did, then it will be here for them..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts