Motherboard infected?

• sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: sydney australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently built my brother a computer (beginning of jan) and about a month ago the CD-Rom stopped working.. well, more like, the computer didn't recognize it. When i clicked on 'My Computer' it wasn't there.

And i would constantly have a message pop up from the task bar saying something about 'JMicron' (new hardware found) and when i would try to install it there would be a missing file somewhere. I spoke to my uncle who is a technician, and he said that the cd-rom must not be connected properly. So tonight i opened the computer and looked through all the cables, and everything was where it was supposed to be.

Then when i turned the computer on, the monitor wasn't getting any pictures. So then i thought 'great' i took my monitor over to my brothers computer, and i know that the monitors are fine.. so i thought something was wrong with the graphics card. So i plugged in my speakers and let the computer run, and i listened out for the 'welcome to windows' music... Nothing. No sounds at all.

So you can imagine how im feeling now.

My brother is a complete imbecile, he downloads whatever looks appealing to him (he is turning 12).
But he still knows alot about computers for his age (thanks to me).

But i am assuming that my brother must have downloaded something that completely screwed it up. I sat in front of the computer for about an hour looking at it, trying to figure out the problem. But i just dont know.

If anyone has any ideas, or needs me to be more specific PLEASE let me know!
It will be much appreciated.
I dont really want the computer that i built (for the first time in my life) to stuff up after only 3 months =P

Thanks everyone![/b]
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you tried a different graphic card too? - I recently just built my first machine (this one) and I messed up quite bad at first but I got the hang of it, it's a pain all the tests you have to go through to figure out which bit of hardware isn't working

your not getting a picture and sound which means your motherboard could be buggered, you said the computer was coming on with new hardware found, then not coming on? does it come on now? or is this completely random when it comes on?

sounds a bit weird that it was coming on now not, you might of buggered the motherboard, or it might just be a bad virus with you saying he downloads whatever looks good, seems a bit weird to me as I don't actually know the answer but hope I can help anyway possible

I know when I set my computer up being the noob that I am I forgot to put the lol forget the name, the riser things under the motherboard so that it doesn't short circuit, luckily I got it working still when I realized I hadn't put them on (lol biggest noob ever but we all forget something :P)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try restoring to a restore point prior to the problem if you can. Sounds like drivers got screwed up somehow.
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol.. well the thing is, when i first built the computer, it was running smoothly.. perfectly.. so good that i was jealous it was doing better then MY computer lol.

Anyway, The 'New Hardware' thing came up everytime we started the computer, and it would come up every 5mins untill we would 'continue' with the installation, and it would say that it has to do some microsoft test thing? I don't know, something about it not being safe. But i would still continue, and then there would be a missing file.

And now the screen doesnt work, and nor does the sound, so basically, i cant get into windows/bios settings or anything.

Buggered? as in, it was running too long? lol, i don't know what you mean by that =S

ATNO/TW: i cant restore anything on the computer.. there is nothing i can do, no screen and no sound. I wanted to restore it, i was going to format the computer aswell.. but now i cant even do that. =(

All i know is, the computer turns on.
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm, strange, by buggered I meant like fried, nackered, not working, broke the motherboard :P - understand?

hmm it sounds very weird, the other day my computer kept saying new hardware found and I had no idea what it was, then my computer went funny and I couldn't boot up so I formatted, hmm not sure what to say to you now lol

you can't see nothing at all? what happens when you now power it on? nothing, not even the black startup screen with the choice to enter setup etc?
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

basically, i turn on the computer.. but nothing transmits to the monitor, its like.. the monitor isnt even plugged in.

I dont know how i could have buggered the MB. I didnt do anything to it..

All i did was, unplugged the cd-rom. turned on the computer to see if that 'New Hardware' message still came up. Not only did i NOT get the message.. but i got nothing on the screen at all.

the graphcis card has 2 ports for the monitor cable, so i tried both of them, and still got nothing.

I double checked that the hard drive was connected correctly, and same with the graphics card, ram, cpu and rom.

If the MB is buggered, wouldnt the computer not even turn on?

This is so confuzing.
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

not really, it depends, I mean the reason I say it might be the motherboard is because you say it was coming on, then your sound doesn't work and your not getting a picture, meaning it could be your motherboard is faulty, or something else which I donno what, lol I'm not very good am I :P

but when I first built this one, the computer came on at first, a few times, then It never, I had power lots of times, then I started to see "no input device detected" so I was like hmm that must be the graphic card or monitor, tried monitor on me old pc works, so it must be the graphic card or the motherboard, Could not try another graphic card as my old pc was AGP and this PCI-E

anyways, lots of tests later I did find out my motherboard was faulty, sent it back to the place I got it, they replaced it, computer booted up properly and worked.

Not saying yours is your motherboard I'm just trying to help and get to the bottom of it. With it not coming on at all suggest to me it's either your motherboard or graphic card, if it was your hard drive then you would still see something on screen (i think) the other day my computer said it couldn't detect a hard drive, but I could still see things on screen

hmm you could do what I did, if you have not already, take one thing out at a time, try boot up, so take a ram chip out, boot up, take your CD ROM Drive out, boot up etc and see if you get anywhere
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well.. i would go back to where i got the motherboard from.. but they will charge me to have a look at it! and if it isnt faulty then i will be paying money for nothing you know? Thats why im here =)

And i sort of already did do what you suggested. but there is only one ram stick, the cd-rom is already out.

i want to get my graphics card out and put it into my brothers, but im not sure it will work because my computer is older. and if it does work, im scared that it might screw up my graphics card!

ill probably try more things tomorrow to get some more answers (its 2am here now)

im here trying to get as many suggestions as i can.
thanks for you help!

ill keep everyone posted!

and if anyone has any more ideas/suggestions.. im all ears!
(actually im all eyes, considering im readong, not listening =P )

Thanks again kinnerdesign!
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe It's np I only wish I actually knew what was wrong, and I know what your going through it was torture the first time I built this computer, Do not take it back to the store then, Keep researching and trying on here for help I'm sure someone will soon tell you what's wrong and tell me to shut up :P hehe

I wish I lived in Austrailia, It's where I want to live but I don't know why :P

Hope you get it fixed, do you know what type of graphics cards they both are? that will help you to know if they will both fit in one computer.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your case, I'd be inclined to check the mobo manual and look for the jumper that forces the BIOS to revert to the default settings which are usually of a lower performance value.

If your board doesn't have a readily available jumper, pull the BIOS battery and have a drink or a smoke while the BIOS reverts to the factory settings.

Reboot and see what effect, if any, it has had.

Good luck.
  • ndunacn
  • ndunacn

Post 3+ Months Ago

before you jump to conclusions, check every computer component one by one. I suggest you completely disasemble the computer and re-assemble it again from scratch! i.e remove every single component (and i mean every single component until the computer is stripped right down. examine the motherboard, ram, hard drive, processor for any defects. you can do this by taking a closer look at each part with your naked eyes. If your processor has pins, examin it to make sure all pins are neatly in place. look at your ram chip's metal edges and check for any burnt part. also check your motherboard (both front and back) for any defects. try to smell it as well for any burnt scent. make sure your IDE cables are working! test then on another motherboard.
IF satified that everything is ok. re-assemble the computer taking care to handle each part with great care. One possible problem is the motherboard may have been shorting on the system case. It may have worked for a while but its possible the motherboard and system case were touching. this happens once in a while and can be solved by stripping the computer right down to the last peice!
Try this out and good luck!
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you turn on the computer does anything happen:

Fans spin?

Power supply fans spin?

Any Beeps from the Bios?

Dangles
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

All the fans spin (cpu and power and graphics). the computer doesnt beep at all. it never beeped from the start.

Im gonna start takin the pc apart in a couple hours, and ill put it back together.

If that doesnt work, i might consider taking out that bios battery as cold canuck recommended.

(that is the ROM battery right?) lol
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yuppers...it looks like a large diameter watch battery.
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, so i actually just pulled the pc apart now (was bored) took a look at everything, unplugged and un-screwed everything. And put it all back together again... and still nothing, same as before. so i took the ROM out, and put it back in, and still nothing.. i then turned the pc on while the ROM was out (don't know if that woulda helped though) and yet again, nothing. =(
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took some pics of the computer.. if anyone can take a look it would be great!
And i know - the cd-rom isnt connected.. i wouldnt have been able to take good pics if it was.. the big thick cable would be in the way =P

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/sexc-bubz/100_2258-1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/sexc-bubz/100_2257-1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/sexc-bubz/100_2256-1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/sexc-bubz/100_2255-1.jpg
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may be mistaken, but you appear to have two power connectors attached to the hard drive, why is that?

Only one power connector should be in use on a SATA drive...not both.

Quote:
Important: Do not connect both the SATA and the legacy ATA power cable to the drive at the same time. This may result in damage to the drive. In order to take advantage of hot-plug capabilities for your Serial ATA hard drive, you must use the Serial ATA power connection, not the Legacy (Molex) power connection. The Legacy (Molex) power connection does not support hot-plugging. For more information on hot-plugging, please see Answer ID 941.
From the Western Digital web site.
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh yes, i know what your talkin about. When i was building the computer, i wasnt sure what it i was, and it looked like it was meant to be in the hard drive because it didnt fit anywhere else, and it looked like an important cable =S

But it still worked. Or does it take some time before it gets screwed?

Do you think maybe i should take it out?
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never seen anyone actually use both plugs before, so I'm not sure what kind and what severity of damage could be done by doing so.

But I would definitely recommend that you just use the SATA power connector as opposed to the Molex plug.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I too recommend using just the SATA power connector instead of the molex.

Also, I don't see where your cd-rom or optical drive is plugged into the motherboard.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

sexcbubz wrote:
And i know - the cd-rom isnt connected.. i wouldnt have been able to take good pics if it was.. the big thick cable would be in the way =P
From 5 posts up :-]

BTW, sexcbubz....after rereading your first post, I'm reminded of those spammer scripts that tells you that your computer is at risk from viruses or some such...they invariably link to some web site offering software at a cost, but you get them from visiting some web site or another.

To be sure, I'd be inclined to download the freeware versions of Adaware and ZoneAlarm.

Adaware

ZoneAlarm firewall
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, sorry. My mistake =)
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that computer had everything. Ad-aware, Spyware doctor, and Symantec anti-virus, so i don't know how this could of happend.

I might then play around abit more with the pc today. Take out that other cable, but something tells me thats not going to help/fix anything.

ill probably end up taking the computer over to the place where i bought all the parts. lucky its all from the same store =)

Anyways, thanks everyone for all your help!
If anyone else has some idea's, let me know!

Im gonna go look through the forum to see if i can help anyone =)
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can I butt in?

Why not slave your brothers harddrive with your PC sexyboobz and run a virus scan from there? I reccomend using Kaspersky Internet Security. Its pretty good. By using kaspersky, you can integrate your security protection (antiVirus, firewall, spam filter, adware) into one bundle.

Quote:
But I would definitely recommend that you just use the SATA power connector as opposed to the Molex plug.

BTW guys, whats the advantage of using SATA power plug over Molex?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
BTW guys, whats the advantage of using SATA power plug over Molex?

http://www.ozzu.com/sutra399191.html#399191

In the quoted part of the post.
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

im a little worried, because i had a second hard drive in my computer, but last week it screwed up really bad.. i don't know what happend, it was very random, and my computer wouldnt run windows, so i took it out.. it only had video's and movies on there.

And also.. if i put my bro's HD in my computer, im paranoid that it'll stuff up my computer =S

But say i do that, and i set it to slave, the computer wont do anything weird by asking me where i wanna load Windows from?

I've never had 2 drives that both had an OS on it.

Also, say his HD is fine.. no viruses or anything, do you think that would mean the MB or something is faulty?
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats what it looks like to me at the moment, said it from beginging but it could be anything, your getting fans spinning but nothing on screen which is what happened to me when I had a short circuit my motherboard, then eventually I got nothing at all, best way to test if its the motherboard is to usually lift it out the case connect it all and rest it on something and see if it powers everything up, see if you get anything on screen, if you do you know its not your motherboard, when I did that it never powered up so I sent it back, replaced motherboard and all was fine

also I recommended Nod32 anti virus by eset, had this on my computer since just before Christmas, not had one virus or not that i know of, mixed with spyware doctor and spybot search and destroy and adaware, nothings really gone wrong on my computer on that side of things.

again just trying to help :P hope that you get it sorted, not sure myself about 2 hard drive, but i've had 2 partitions before, both with XP on, when one had a problem I loaded the other one, backed my files up and formatted, you get a choice what to boot from when 2 OS installed not sure if its the same with 2 hard drives though as one would be slave
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the information, it does seem like you have a defective hardware issue, and most likely the motherboard. But again, this is just speculation. Hope you figure it out.
  • sexcbubz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have news!

Yesterday i took the computer over to the shop where i got the parts.

And they got back to me today.. and they said it IS the motherboard, but it was because the CPU wasnt connected properly.. which i dont understand because it was working, but anyway, the dude said that i have to put the cpu on the motherboard first, before i put it in the case.. lol.. oops, i didnt know that part =P

But anyway, he said its not gonna cost me anything except for the re-asemble. And i said i will do it myself =P and so now i dont have to pay for anything at all YAY!
Only thing is, its gonna take 2-3weeks to get the pc back lol.. great, now i have to share my computer with the entire family *sigh*
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
he dude said that i have to put the cpu on the motherboard first, before i put it in the case.. lol.. oops, i didnt know that part =P

Never heard of that one myself, nor have I done that. Did you see if the drive worked in another computer? Nothing would be transfered, just slave it and use one power plug. If it works in another comp then the MB is the issue, unless you fried it. If that's the case use a hard drive that you know works and hook it up, agian use one power plug. By doing those simple test you can find out which part is faulty. And I wouldn't ask the store for anymore help, I have put toghether 4 comps and was taught to make sure that the MB was secure before I added pieces.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 54 posts