Motherboard infected with virus ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

A friend of mine told me his system was acting funny & gave it to me (driveless).

I tossed a junk drive in & tried installing win2k, at 2% of formatting the drive started clicking for a second then went on. At 62% it started again & will not go past that. It's done the exact same thing every time I've tried that. I figured "ok this drives dead"

I tried tossing in a drive with a barebones win2k install (6gig drive with a few common drivers archived), everything seemed fine untill the first windows loading screen passed (black one to press F8) no more than 3 seconds after going to the next loading screen (with windows logo) I get a bluescreen telling me that either the drive or a drive controller has been infected with a virus & to ensure my drive connections are good. :?

The drive boots up without problems in another system I have & I've checked the connections perhaps too many times... I've tried the cables that were in the system when he gave it to me & half a dozen I allready had. I've tried disabling the virus block gimmick in bios.
BTW, it's an asus p3v4x board.

Two questions,
#1 : Have I likely just screw my barebones drive by using it if that board has some sort of virus ?

#2 : How the hell would I get rid of a virus in the motherboard ? Flashing the bios ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I would try the Flash
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can get a virus on your motherboard. I mean, you would have to allow it access to flash your BIOS which 1 isn't easy to get a program to do, and 2 is even harder to keep the bios working when you do it.

Not to mention the fact that there are thousands of BIOSes out there and each one would have to be targeted specifically.

You might still have a BIOS problem though!
  • oldjoe
  • oldjoe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Iam in agreement with Truce. I don't believe that the virus in on the board. There should be a jumper on that board to clear the Bios. If that doesn't do it I would go for the flash.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
2 is even harder to keep the bios working when you do it.

Not to mention the fact that there are thousands of BIOSes out there and each one would have to be targeted specifically.

You might still have a BIOS problem though!

It is near impossible to keep the BIOS running while flashing it. Infact i know of only one way, which is really really risky, and could result in serious damage. The best bet would be to reset the CMOS by pulling the CMOS battery, or by using the reset jumper. If that doesnt work the last thing i would try would be to Flash the BIOS. If it comes to down to this, be very careful and read the instuctions that tells you how to do it. Let me know if you need any help.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've updated a motherboard by flash bios update released by Intel. As well, I am aware of computers at our school that had the flash ROM get infected by a virus and I went around fixing them by having to get ahold of a compaq flash ROM updater.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps your onboard IDE controller is just shot. You could try throwing in another one and see what happens. You can find PCI controller boards pretty cheap these days.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts