Motherboard to be paired with a Core 2 Duo e6400

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey..what would be the best motherboard (in your opinion) to be paired with the core 2 duo thats <= $130?
i've been reading reviews on performance and overclocking on some AMD compatible socket am2 mobo's and there are a few that are promising (none getting an equivalent overclock to my 2.2->2.908 screeny, but :shrug:..) if i do go amd i'm going for the opteron 1212. and i may be getting 1 or 2 7800gtx's :] I<3ebay... so SLI is an option i like to have.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe ATX Motherboard
Socket T (LGA 775)
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 Intel

Supports LGA775 Core 2 Duos.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats like $210 for brand new, in box...
what about like <= $130 for brand new in box?

and why do you suggest that mobo?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

My whole ideology is to buy the best foundation parts. I.e.: Motherboard & Power Supply. I also have my list of favorite vendors that I rarely stray from: AMD, ASUS, nVidia, PC Power & Cooling, Lian-Li, Thermalright, Panaflo.

I am also meticulous about pairing the hardware. nForce chipset with a nVidia-based video card. ASUS motherboard with an ASUS made video card.
Corsair XMS memory and Lian-Li cases. I am also a stickler of matching the parts correctly. I do not overclock anymore. Instead of PC829387283 memory I match the memory with the lowest stable latency I can find.

Sure, they are some of the most expensive parts - but they have never let me down.

I still have an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with 2.0 Gbyte of Corsair XMS PRO PC3200 2-2-2-5. When I built that machine I picked one of the cheapest processors I could find (I even have a thread on me building the system, somewhere on here) but picked the best foundation parts. I started out with 1.0 Gbyte of memory and upgraded to 2.0 Gbyte. I am also going to upgrade the video card soon to one that supports HDCP & HDMI. I am also changing out the Hauppauge card for one that can take HDTV signals from a cable box. Turning it into a great media center PC.

That machine only cost me $1600 brand new and I forget even how longs its been since I built it. At least a year and runs Vista Ultimate (Final Release version*) flawlessly. I may even look into grabbing an X2 Processor before I make a move on AM2. I want to get back into gaming and want a Direct(X)3D 10 video card with Vista Ultimate and a 24" Dell 2407WFP LCD.

* I have MSDN so I got Vista and Office 2007 7 days after RTM.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
I still have an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with...

this processor of yours...would it happen to be socket 939? or 754?
because i have that cpu San Diego. you also failed to mention your current motherboard.
and why dont you overclock? i was sad to find out when reading a review of some socket AM2 mobo's that the reviewer was only able to OC the setup by 300-333mhz. that made me think "hm...maybe my 700mhz overclock is pretty good." but i'm running 1gb corsair valueselect @ 2.5-3-3-7 with a DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D.
and oooh..i found this psu i want to get, its an Antec True Power Trio 650w with three 12v rails. mine is an Enermax Noisetaker 485w with dual 12v rails. what do you think about said psu's / what is your psu of preference? and how well would all of the above run the core 2 duo?
stability=<3
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

939 San Diego core, ASUS A8N-SLi Premium and ASUS EN6800GT/TOP. I have the 2-2-2-5 latency on the PC3200 DDR Corsair XMS PRO XLL with the fancy schmancy lights on it. PC Power & Cooling 510-Express SLi.

Heftiness is the key. The heavier the PSU is, usually the better quality. PC P & C are the end-all-be-all defacto best of the absolute top of the line PSU's and they charge it too.

Next step would be dual-processor quad-core 64bit AMD procs with 4Gb of RAM and two of the baddest video cards in SLi a physics coprocessor and a 1kW PSU.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
939 San Diego core, ASUS A8N-SLi Premium and ASUS EN6800GT/TOP.

I have the ASUS Extreme AX800 w/vivo but i haven't yet found a use for the vivo.. :( lol
do you have any ideas?

GT500Shlby wrote:
Next step would be dual-processor quad-core 64bit AMD procs with 4Gb of RAM and two of the baddest video cards in SLi a physics coprocessor and a 1kW PSU.

..damn
would those video cards you're referring to be the 8800 gtx's? b/c those are just damn hott. and 2 would be nuts... 1.5GB video memory..*dies* lol
you're going to have to wait a wihle for those quad core AMD's tho..
why not > 4GB? if you have a 64bit cpu, take advantage of it. the cpu will take i believe up to 1TB memory and can handle 255TB virtual memory. at least last i read. and the whole "64bit OS" is growing..unless of course you use Linux, in that case its been around the block a few times. lol
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the 8800 or whatever is next.

But with the AMD/ATi marriage I guess I'll have to go ATi, but they don't have a decent SLi solution. Crossfire is just garbage.

I'll go 64bit when I get a release version of Vista 64.

Unfortunately I've gotten stupid in my old age. I used to use linux/freebsd 24/7/365 for a few years. But I had the time to play and everything seemed easier back in those days. I just no longer have the patience to get everything working. I've been working with windows just too long because I have to use windows daily for work.

I like Gentoo, for some reason Linux's like that just flow better with me.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
I like Gentoo, for some reason Linux's like that just flow better with me.

eww...lol for some reason, Gentoo..seriously..HATES my pc. i dont know why. it just REFUSES to get to a desktop. completely and utterly refuses. its irritating. lol
but it does suck that it takes some work to get linux running. itd be nice if the things you needed just worked. damn to mac and their "it just works." lol
and yea..IMHO i think it stinks that windows is so widely used/people HAVE to use it to get things done. i could see some scenarios where larger businesses/institutions could benefit from the open source community and stop wasting all of their money on software licenses. instead, they could give that money to me for tech support ^_^_^

anyways, now that i'm COMPLETELY off topic my room mate and i got curious as to the difference between a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo..so i read what each was, and if i understand correctly the Core * is the newer version of the Pentium M and the Core 2 * is the newer version of the Pentium, so the name "Pentium" has been replaced completely. that sound about right?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Almost.

The "Core" series is the newer version of the Pentium M & Pentium 8xx/9xx series. Then the "Core 2" is the newer version of that. But really it just replaced the socket 478 Core Duos for high-performance laptops. There is no LGA775 Core Duo, only Core 2 Duo.

I agree with the whole "It just works" thing. I wish it did, but now I wiped out my X on SuSe so I guess I have to figure out that ATICONFIG program and set it for 1400 x 1050; 32bit color and 60Hz refresh.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya know you could just open up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and do it manually.. ;)
or couldn't you do it through YaST even? maybe under hardware? i'm not in suse right now so i dont remember the location so great..but you should be able to do so pretty easily.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

X fails saying Xorg.config is incomplete. YAST and the rest of SuSe left me with only 1024x768 at 75Hz and 24bit color.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should create another post in the linux forum and post your xorg.conf file
.:nods:.
:]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts