Motherboard problem?

• mcdnivek
  • Born
  • Born
  • mcdnivek

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the last week or so, I have been encountering a ton of problems. I've had this computer for about 2 and a half years now. It began with just a ton of error messages at random times while the computer was on--the ones where the screen turns blue. There was a different reason for each error on the blue screen every time, not many times it was the same one. Then when I began to reboot the computer, the monitor wasn't receiving any signals or it would simply freeze up on the "Compaq" screen. But more recently it won't start up at all. The computer responds with repeating long beeping noises.

I opened up the case and began checking things out. Every fan seems to be in order except one. I think it is called the "Northbridge Cooler"?. Its the one that isn't over the CPU; the other one on the motherboard.

Anyways, does anyone have ANY idea what is going on? Is my motherboard the problem?

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

by "screen turns blue" that mean the screen loses all other colours and goes blue or you get the blue screen of death,
also have you done a virus scan? i;ve seen some virus do some weird and wonderful (ok not that wonderful) things to a computer
  • mcdnivek
  • Born
  • Born
  • mcdnivek

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I scanned. No virus.

[edit] err yeah. It turns royal blue i guess, sometimes has white writing indicating some error or another, sometimes its just completely blue and nothing happens.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mcdnivek, what you're experiencing is called a STOP error, but generally referred to as a blue screen of death (BSOD). It signifies an issue with your hardware in 99% of cases. This could be the hardware itself having an issue, or a driver that was poorly written crashing the system.

In your case, if you can you should get into the BIOS and try to force all of the fans to run. Some BIOS settings will automatically monitor temps and control fan speeds...which might explain why the fan isn't moving. If you determine that it is not a faulty fan, read on. Otherwise you just need to get a replacement.

STOP errors could mean a lot of different issues. Generally, the most common problem is a bad power supply. You can pick up a decent power supply for about $50, and most stores don't charge a restocking fee if it turns out that it doesn't fix your issue. For that reason, and the fact that installing it doesn't mean brain surgery, I recommend you try it out first.

Assuming it doesn't help, try downloading a copy of memtest86 and running it to see if your RAM might be causing the issue. Watch out though, errors shown in memtest might be from other hardware too. If memtest gets errors, you can try replacing your RAM module with a new one, or try pulling out each of your modules one at a time to see which one is faulty and replacing it.

Finally, if none of this works, you might just want to get a new computer since a new mobo means either a new copy of Windows anyways or a long frustrating call to MS in India and a lot of installation headaches and such.
  • linknz
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • linknz
  • Loc: Levin, New Zealand

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sounds like the Microsoft (Don't panic page being displayed) which was designed into the operating system by Microsoft designers to spook up computer users.. Grin..
I had that for a while then I changed over to linux and it went away..
Some of the blue pages may show a list of addresses which are supposed to be memory errors and often give a page full of details like Page fault found at &H6537777

I would take out the memory chips, give them a good clean then replace them and try again, often some crud on the connection can make them unstable.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts