Motherboards

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okey my motherboard recently was fried :). And i had the option of gettin it repaired or buying a new one and ive decided to get a new one. I need to know what motherboards are in at the moment and what are the best motherboards availible. Gaming is the only thing that i do on my comuter. I need to know what motherboards i can buy in under 150$. Also i have Intel P4 2.4 Ghzz
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• doit4God
  • doit4God

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mainboard Intel D865 GBF

support all Pentium 4 CPU Socket 478 has bus 800/ 533/400 MHz

Form Factor ATX (11.60 inches by 9.60 inches [294.64 mm by 243.84 mm])
Processors
Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition in an mPGA478 socket with a 800 MHz system bus
Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor in an mPGA478 socket with a 400/533/800 MHz system bus
Support for an Intel® Celeron® D Processor in an mPGA478 socket with a 533 MHz system bus
Support for an Intel® Celeron® Processor in an mPGA478 socket with a 400 MHz system bus
View all supported processors
Memory
Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
Support for DDR 400, DDR 333, and DDR 266
Support for up to 4 GB of system memory
Chipset Intel® 865G Chipset
I/O Control SMSC LPC47M172 LPC Bus I/O controller*
Audio SoundMAX 4 XL with AudioESP audio subsystem* using the Analog Devices AD1985 codec*
Video
Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 controller
Universal 0.8/1.5 V AGP 3.0 connector supporting 1x, 4x, and 8x AGP cards or an AGP Digital Display (ADD) card
Integrated retention mechanism
Peripheral Interfaces
Eight USB ports
One serial port
One parallel port
Two Serial ATA IDE interfaces
Two parallel ATA IDE interfaces with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support
One diskette drive interface
PS/2* keyboard and mouse ports
Expansion Capabilities Six PCI bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to PCI bus connector 2)
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need a motherboard with an agp AND a PCI-E slot for the intel pentium 4 2.4Ghz.

By the way .. what is a chipset ? I have the d865 chipset.
  • doit4God
  • doit4God

Post 3+ Months Ago

check it :
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Productgro ... ?GroupID=4
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cant find it.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

? Please help me
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comon guys ? A little help here :(
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love ASUS motherboards. Pretty much just look for a board that everything you need on http://www.tigerdirect.com or http://www.newegg.com. MSI, ASUS, and ABIT are all decent names. Post one if you like it and we'll take a look at it. What exactly do you have and are you going to buy to stick in the board?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to fit a couple of hard-disk's and couple of cd drives. Besides that around 3 rams and an agp along with Pci-e cards. I currently have agp and am thinking of upgrading to PCI-e Ill check those websites. By the way, i can buy any P4 motherboard and it should work right ? I mean i dont have to see if its compatible with anything or things like that ?
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's like saying you can buy any car and it will fit your engine without compatibility. Alsways check to make sure your processor and ram are supported.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh Okey, i havent bought a motherboard on my own yet and i was confused with the chipset and the 478 Socket type and the number of pins. Anyway i cant find a good motherboard with both agp or Pci-e. All im getting is AGP and a few boards with PCI. I havent seen a pci-e board yet on the website.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a problem. What is the processor you are putting in it and what type of memory, or have you not purchased memory yet?
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked a bit and it doesn't look like you'll find a decent board with both AGP and PCI Express. I'd just go PCI Express since that's where graphics cards are going.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've looked a bit as well and it is hard to find a socket 478 with PCI-e. They don't seem to exist as far as I can tell. I'm wondering if the P4 motherboards didn't start adding PCI-e until the LGA775.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm the processor is a P4. actually my motherboard was D865gbf and it got burnt so im going to buy a new one to replace it. So i have all the accessories only need a new motherboard. I think its DDR Ram but im not sure. How do you check it ? is it written on the Ram's ?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That motherboard supported Socket 478 P4's and DDR RAM.
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboa ... /index.htm
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hard to tell sometimes. DDR400 is the same as PC3200 and I can't remember the rest of them. Try and see if there's any information you can pull off the ram modules. (Black boxes)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

His old motherboard supports DDR 400, 333 and 266 so as long as the new one he picks out supports the same he should be good.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gravy. Most would support all anyway. What do you think about the graphics card? AGP or PCI-E?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find a socket 478 motherboard that has PCI-e.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/news ... ews_id=121

Well that explains the difficulty but they're out there now.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like that is his only choice if he wishes to use PCI-e, good find rickatnight11.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

*blush* awwwww

Too bad about that socket though. You know, for upgradability's sake, you may want to get a new processor. Expensive, but since you're upgrading everything anyway, the CPU is really holding you back. It will bottleneck your performance and you won't be able to get all the upgrades you want for a good price.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Albatron PX915P4/G4 Pro

Is this motherboard any good ? I mean ive heard about Asus and intel motherboards that they are very good, Albatrons name im hearing for the first time. What do you suggest i should do ? Buy this albatron Motherboard or get my intel board replaced/repaired and wait till i have more money and replace the Mobo and processor both ? If u think i shd replace the mobo and proccessor then recommend me with a few good Motherboards and proccessors for PURE GAMING with PCI-e Express slot.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should save up and go for a nice 64-bit AMD cpu/mothoerboard bundle from any of the good computer hardware sites. You obviously have gaming performance in mind, and this is the way to go. Fix what you have, but start working towards a new machine. The other one can be your server.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Idea. I have heard that AMD is quite in these days. Is Amd better then intel ? Anyways i would like you to recommend some Boards and Processors so i can get an idea of the cost and everything.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

For gaming performance I say AMD all the way. As for the bundles, it just depends on how much you want to pay versus how much power you want. It's a pretty tight direct comparison unless you find a sweet deal. I'll try and give you a range.

Tigerdirect's Mobo/CPU Bundles
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... p?CatId=14

Search http://www.zipzoomfly.com for Bundles, they coul dhave some good deals.

Here's an expansive bundle from Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Bundl ... Bundle.788
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok ive made up my mind now. I still dont know whether i should make another completely new system or just change the mobo and the proccessor of the current one. But ive decided to change both the motherboard and the processor

So first off im going for the processor. My range for the processor is around 200$. Which Amd processor should i go for ? and what is the best processor in under 200$ for Gaming ?

Then comes the motherboard. This is the problem because i have a AGP card and want to upgrade to PCI-e, problem is i cant buy both Pci-e and the mobo together because i wont be having that much money. If u can tell me a board that supports the amd processor you are suggesting, which has both AGP slots and PCI-e slots then good but if it has only PCI-e then its ok too, i can spend a few months without a graphics card :).

By the way, amd athlon 64 3400+ Looks good to me, its well under my price range too around 160$. Is it good enough for gaming ?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the 3400+ is fine for gaming. Although the FX brand is geared more towards gamers from my understanding.
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the top of the line 32-bit chip from AMD (the Athlon XP 3200+), and yes the FXs are geared towards gaming. The 3400+ is a great choice. If you get an 64-bit AMD around the $200 price range you will be ok for gaming. Make sure your graphics card is decent however. That will be the bottleneck way before your chip is.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts