Mouse Freezes

• burr
  • Born
  • Born
  • burr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

My mouse randomly freezes for short instants of time, then works again. I use a corded Logitech MX518 mouse through a USB port in WinXP. When it happens, the cursor freezes, the red light from underneath the mouse stops, and windows makes the usual "a USB device has been unplugged/plugged-in" sound. The frequency of the freezing is much higher when I play CounterStrike. If the mouse is left alone, it does not appear to ever freeze. After about 5 seconds, Windows will re-detect my mouse and continue as normal.

Rebooting seems to midly alleviate the problem, but very temporarily. I've tried other USB ports to no avail and I have a 420 watt power supply. When I use the PS2 adapter, the frequency of the freezing is considerably lower, but if it does go out with a PS2 I'm pretty much screwed as Windows will not re-detect my mouse. I use default drivers, not Logitechs, but I did have this same problem ages ago with my Microsoft IntellMouse 3.0. If anyone has a similar problem, please mention it and the things you tried, successful or not. Thanks for you help.

Take it easy,
Justin
  • burr
  • Born
  • Born
  • burr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should also not that I found the following IRQ conflicts, although I do not though if it is the cause of my problem or not.

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF Intel(R) 82875P Processor to AGP Controller - 2579
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF RADEON 9800 PRO

IRQ 16 RADEON 9800 PRO
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

IRQ 18 Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
IRQ 18 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Intel(R) 82875P Processor to AGP Controller - 2579
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON 9800 PRO

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB Intel(R) 82875P Processor to AGP Controller - 2579
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON 9800 PRO
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe the mouse wires makes shorts. Look for a hot temperature source. Maybe you'll have to buy a new one
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely try the newest drivers from Logitech's website:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... NTID=10121

I've never worked with this nice of a mouse before, but I have actually found that the wrong mousepad, or mouse surface, can cause similar problems.

The part that concerns me most is the light under the mouse. Does the light actually turn off? If so you may want to look into Logitech support:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi ... ?c=US&l=EN
  • wonderland
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: P.R.China

Post 3+ Months Ago

U may check the connection of USB port FIRST.
then, check the connection between the wire and the mouse.

Dont think ur problem too serious.
  • jonnyc
  • Born
  • Born
  • jonnyc
  • Loc: philly

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds more like your graphics card is causing the problems. If you look at the additional information you posted (irq info). It mentions that may be the problem.
Currently, I am having a similar mouse problem. The only difference is, it is not related to my graphics card. The mouse freezes at random and comes back. I have done the emi test and it came up inconclusive. Now im trying a higher power supply. Currently, I have a 400W power supply. The computer has 2 hds, 250mb zip internal, dvd rom, and usb devices ranging a digital camera to a pocket pc (all 8 USB ports are used). Other specs: 1024 mb of pc 3200 ddr RAM, AMD athlon XP 2900+ w/ 400mhz FSB, and nothing is hooked into my firewire ports. Anyone have ideas to solving the problem. Also, when I play games the mouse works fine
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my logitech mice, the laser stops blinking and I actually have to slam the mouse on the desk to get it to resync. But that I think is a surface problem. When its on the pad it doesn't do it.

Sounds like some bad mice. I would contact logitech, maybe they have addressed the issue and have some ways to help alleviate it.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or it could be a virus..don't laugh...lmaooooooooo its happened before!

Run antivirus make sure its up to date, then run adaware.

:P
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd believe it.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I say that because now and again my mouse wanders around the darn screen by itself....lmaooooo

Its usually a virus of some sort.... either that or its looking for cheese lolol

:lol: :lol:
  • Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeh!

Whos had the virus that opens/closes ure optical drives every 3 seconds?
  • ntheja
  • Born
  • Born
  • ntheja

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same issue with the mouse(mouse frezes often and cursor stops but I can able to move the cursor with the help of keyboard) and I found the wire are shorts at the neck of the mouse.

I got it fixed. I am sure its not conflick or not USB drivers problem.If it is wireless mouse check with the battery of the mouse or the connectivity of the mouse
  • Phil H
  • Born
  • Born
  • Phil H
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone is still following this thread:

I have a mouse that locks up after a while too.
Swapped optical mini-mouse from laptop to desktop and
MS optical mouse from desktop to laptop. Absolutely no
probs for 3 weeks. Switched back and HEY PRESTO - prob
back again. Stopped EPSON STATUS MONITOR and problem
does not occur again...

--- DO EPSON ADMIT RESPONSIBILITY? ---

Anyone know ?
  • grapepoo+++
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

got that problem too. :hmm:

:shock: WHAT IS THE COMPUTER THAT HAVE A PROBLEM
1 year old laptop, toshiba satellite, 1,86 GHz,1 Go RAM, ATI Radeon X700 256 mg.
Microsoft USB wheel optical mouse,
windows xp home (Legal) recently formated and updated

:?: PROBLEM
Every 5 second when doing anything on the computer...
- mouse freeze
- lazer light turn off every 3 seconds
- windows sound (dong)
- undetected mouse by port
- pointer does NOT move by itself. (that is 90% sure its a trojan)

:!: HOW I TRIED TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM
Tryed to smash the mouse on the table but did'nt help but work and turning over the mouse works to. Unplug mouse USB and replug in port work for a bit and the problem come back 5 to 30 seconds later and gets crazy again.

Scan with AVAST home 4.8 and Webroot Spy Sweeper

Formated and reinstall windows (I though I add a unknown virus or TROJAN)

Mouse work fine on other computer with linux so the mouse is not the problem..

I have use the mouse on a pale/GREY plastic surface and this work the best for me. but why not on the usually mouse pad?

:idea: PROBLEM IS NOT RESOLVED YET BUT plastic surface or non-painted wood surface kinda fix the problem of mine
(had the problem comming back one time in the last 1 hour insted of every 3 seconds).

I'll keep an eyes on the furum. If someone as a better idea ... USED TO HAVE THAT PROBLEM ...
POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRAPEPOO
  • JodieFreakinFoster
  • Born
  • Born
  • JodieFreakinFoster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Everyone, I made this account just so i could offer help on the mouse freezing up when you plug a power cord into a windows 7 laptop... i fixed the prolem by plugging it into another outlet. :) hope that helps, im no computer genius or anything hehe
  • GWS1
  • Born
  • Born
  • GWS1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I am new here but I am glad to see some solutions to this problem. I have had the same. One very basic idea occurred to me finally after looking for a more complicated reason for this problem of the USB mouse seeming to disconnect. Ready?
Try cleaning the optical part under the mouse. Use a compressed air can you may use for other parts of your computer. Worked for me.
It was too simple. A physical reason for this problem. Laughing at myself now for all the grief I went through.
Good luck, GWS1

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts