Multiple Monitors

• Bill_Thompson
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just moved. I mean, I have had movers disconnect my computer which I had set up just the way I wanted and ship to another state. Now I am trying to set up my computer exactly the way it was and it is proving to be a difficult thing to do.

I had two monitors via a connection on my motherboard and a connection on a video card. The connection on the video card has two slots for monitors. So that makes a total of 3 slots but I only was using two monitors.

I was only able to get one monitor recognized (although I confirmed that both monitors work). And the monitor that was recognized always showed the extended desktop for some reason. I tried to set things right with the control panel settings but I think I must have messed things up more.

Now the best I can do is to start the computer in Safe Mode and then I can use one monitor. But strangely enough, my monitor is plugged into a slot that is one of the slots on the video card.

Someone suggested that all I have to do is to have a monitor plugged into the slot on the motherboard and then reboot the computer and automatically the Operating System will recognize the right monitor. That did not work.

Does anyone have any idea how to (#1) reset the system so I do not have to be in safe mode and then (#2) set up my old two monitor system?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well what type of video card do you have and also do you have your on board video card disabled?
  • Bill_Thompson
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:
Well what type of video card do you have and also do you have your on board video card disabled?

NVIDA is the video card.

Do you mean the mother board's video coard by "board video card"? I do not think it is disabled. How would I disable it and how would it be disabled?
  • Bill_Thompson
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I uninstalled the video driver in safe mode. Suddenly everything works.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend you to update your video card drivers and also you can disable your ON board video card "Video card that is on the motherboard" throughout the bios. If you need help let me know..

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

that is to nivida's website.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bill_Thompson wrote:
I had two monitors via a connection on my motherboard and a connection on a video card. The connection on the video card has two slots for monitors. So that makes a total of 3 slots but I only was using two monitors.

You should be plugging both displays into the ports on the NVIDIA card. Make sure you have the latest drivers and software for the card; nView should let you configure them.

Disable your onboard video if you can.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts