need advise on hard disk

• associates
  • Student
  • Student
  • associates

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'd like to get some advises from you. I have a desktop that i use to back up all the files from all the other computers. Recently, I've been noticing that there is not much memory space left on the hard disk. So i'm almost tempted to buy a larger one - probably 320 G hard disk and put it into the machine as an additional hard disk. Before i proceed with that, i need to know if i can just plug in another hard drive in there given that i have already have a hard disk in there. Will the motherboard be able to support it? I don't have greater knowledge of hardware issues with computers. Not sure how to go around this. so i thought i just drop in and get some inputs here.

Thank you in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here we go associates.

First thing we need to know is what kind of connection your motherboard supports. More than likely you have either IDE or SATA and depending on how new your PC is you may have both.

Then we need to know what else you have in your case besides the one hard drive. I'm sure you have an optical drive or two.

Typically a motherboard will have two IDE channels. Each IDE channel will support two IDE devices. This equates to 2 hard drives and two optical drives, or 3 hard drives and one optical drive and so on and so forth.

If your motherboard has SATA connections you can only hook up one device per SATA connection as far as I know.

Then you need to pay attention to your power supply and make sure you have an extra power connection. Also take note at what the wattage is, no need to over stress your power supply.

I hope that helps.
  • fleamailman
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: geneva

Post 3+ Months Ago

often the problem with adding another harddrive is moving the files to and from it to your other computers whereas if you just buy and external harddrive caddie, you can use any old harddrive as your back up, I have a pile of them on my shelf from old computers, if it is an important back up I have it doubled to two harddrives then so that if one harddrive dies the other still holds the files

also, the price comes in here in that a harddrive caddie cost peanut, the work is zilch, the chances of your coming across old harddrive in your stolling, that is unless you live on a desert island is 1/1
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would just advice you to get an external hard drive you can get them in the uk for about 150 pounds for a 320 gig
  • covsterlj
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • covsterlj
  • Loc: BFE, Michigan USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

gu3 wrote:
i would just advice you to get an external hard drive you can get them in the uk for about 150 pounds for a 320 gig

I would agree with this option. It is portable and they are fairly inexpensive, about $180 at Tigerdirect.com.
  • fleamailman
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, I wish I had that much money

http://computers.listings.ebay.co.uk/Dr ... ngItemList
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yer they are quite expencive in oen way but then in another they are alot cheaper than internal ones. so if you need one of that copacity i think your best with external.
  • tarabas
  • Born
  • Born
  • tarabas
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, an external disk may be the easiest solution to your problem. But keep in mind that your backup is (probably) gone to hell if you accidently drop it off the table or the like.

I often recommend to buy two external disk from which only one is moved at any time. The ohter remains locked savely...

regards, tarabas
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

tarabas wrote:
Yes, an external disk may be the easiest solution to your problem. But keep in mind that your backup is (probably) gone to hell if you accidently drop it off the table or the like.

I often recommend to buy two external disk from which only one is moved at any time. The ohter remains locked savely...

regards, tarabas

yer but that would cost even more again.....
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or if you really want to go all out, buy a 120TB EMC CLARiiON CX3-80. Then get a set of Dell 2950's in a cluster, SAN attach them and then use DFS to create a very large SAN-Attached NAS Appliance capable of storing a lot of secure data. If you set it up right, you can lose 4 drives simultaneously and not lose a bit of data.
  • fleamailman
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

nah, a couple of dollars gets you a caddie, and then carry a screwdriver and just open up any old computer that they leave out on rubbish day, I mean I don't know how many harddrives I have got but yer OK there are not big but easy come is easy go and why pay money

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts