I need to find a modem driver

• allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone tell a complete computer illiterate what to look for.

I need a modem driver for an old PC.

Using Device Manager I can see -

AuthenticAMD AMD-K6 (tm) Processor 56.ond ram.

- can also see-

HSP56 Micromodem

1. What one is the modem driver.

2. Where do I find it.

Plain language please, I have to concentrate to turn the darn thing on :oops:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

HSP56 Micromodem is your modem

The other one is your computer processor. I remember having those drivers, let me see if I can find them.

//EDIT: hold on, if you can see your modem in Driver Manager your driver is installed, do you have another problem with it?

Anyway, you can download the drivers from here:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/pctel.html
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, downloaded the 98 one. :o

PC needs to be cleaned out, I have searched for and found out how to format and reinstall windows 98, I THINK I have backed up all of the drivers BUT just in case when I reinstall I want to make sure I can get back on the net for any further help and any other drivers I may need.

I've been told that once windows is reinstalled, as long as I have the driver for the modem I shouldn't have any problems getting back on the net.

I'm just holding my breath and crossing all fingers.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, good luck, as you said most of the time you shouldn't have problems. If you need further help don't hesitate to come over and ask here and we can gladly help you.

There's always a first time :wink:

//EDIT: Did you made a backup of your connection setting?, check in control panel in network and dialup connections.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've looked in control panel, I have network icon, no dial up connections icon.
Is a backup of this absolutely needed, I've only found out how to do things mainly by searching these forums and printing them out.

The start up disk I made, or boot disc, from this PC does not allow me to access the CD Rom, I tested it before I wiped everything clean, put it in typed e: typed dir etc: couldn't see a windows folder, so I'm downloading a disk from bootdisk website, see if that has the CD drivers on.

how do I exit from bios, is it ok to just press ctr, alt, del and restart the PC, that's the only way I can get out.

Sorry, did say I complete and utter novice.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

What type of computer you have? most bios has a key to press for exit saving changes (mostly f10).

If you are completly wiping (reformating) your computer you can put your boot disk and restart. It should boot from the disk and lately ask for your cd, the boot disk has the drivers for cd roms and they are loaded on startup. How you created the boot disk? Lemme check, there's a site out there where you can download boot disks for most windows instalations, I'll be back
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have an old Aria, thought I could practise and learn how things work on it, if I mess it up I can just go back and start again til this ole' brain understands. :roll:

Have a Pavilion I use in the office, never go online except for mail, never mess about with it, thought it about time I learnt something though.

Downloaded a boot from BOOTDISC, just got to find out again how I check if I can access the CD Rom before wiping the drive, the disc I made on the Pav won't let me access the CD Rom.

I'm amazed just how much I've learnt by just searching these forums, even know there's two meanings for MB now. :roll:
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take note of the phone number you are using to connect to internet for later use.

allycat wrote:
Downloaded a boot from BOOTDISC, just got to find out again how I check if I can access the CD Rom before wiping the drive, the disc I made on the Pav won't let me access the CD Rom.

Ok, you already know the site LOL. You can check the disk just by puting it in the drive, turn off and then on your computer and let it boot for the disk, it will load windows setup. You can try to shred the Aria for this, we can help you if you get stuck.

allycat wrote:
I'm amazed just how much I've learnt by just searching these forums, even know there's two meanings for MB now. :roll:

Yeah, I know, me too, there's a lot of pro's around here.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aaaahhhh the phone number, got it. need plain language I'm afraid. :cry:

When I put the disc I made in and rebooted with it, it gave me the option for CDR support.

I tested seeing if I could access the CD Rom with the first disc but all I got were 15 files, none of them a windows one, and I had read that if I could access the CDR I would see a windows file, so I assumed that as it wasn't there I couldn't.

Now the one I downloaded has a load more stuff on it but when I reboot with it I don't get the option for CDR support.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

allycat wrote:
When I put the disc I made in and rebooted with it, it gave me the option for CDR support

Have you tried to boot directly from the cd? put your CD on the drive and reboot, it mey tell you if you want to boot from there to start setup.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't know you could do that, all I've read has said you need a start up disc. THANKS, may save me a headache, these last few days I've caused myself a few. :lol:

( You can try to shred the Aria for this, ) bit confused about this statement though. :oops:
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Going off to try your suggestion on the booting from CD.

Thanks for your help, no doubt I'll be back for some more,

This is more interesting than I thought it would be. :shock:
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

allycat wrote:
( You can try to shred the Aria for this, ) bit confused about this statement though. :oops:

lol, sorry, I was just kidding with that :)

Let's try something, just to be sure you have all the information needed for your internet connection.

1- Click the Windows Start button, click Settings, and click Control Panel.
2- Double-click the Network icon.
3- A Network window appears, with any installed network components listed.
4- There should be an item listed there called Dialup Adapter
5- If you have both a modem and a network card in your computer, there should be a total of two TCP/IP items in the list: one TCP/IP item for the modem ("TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter"), and one for the network card ("TCP/IP -> [network card name]"). Click on TCP/IP or TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter and then the properties button, if you see a message saying something about changing TCP/IP properties don't worry, just click ok.
6- A TCP/IP Properties window appears. Click the DNS Configuration tab near the top of the window. If Enable DNS option is selected take note of the numbers and data you found there for further use.
7- At the top of the dialog box, click on the WINS Configuration tab. Again if Enable WINS Resolution is selected take a note of that.
8- Click again in Gateway tab and do the same thing.
9- Click cancel in all windows to close network configuration.

pheew! let me know if you get it.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

:!: eek......just gonna print that out and have look see.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

allycat wrote:
:!: eek......just gonna print that out and have look see.

LOL, let me know how it goes :lol:
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, found that easy enough, had a dot in the disable boxes but had an IP Address Tab, found IP address and subnet mask.

I now have the number as well.

Oh it's so easy when you have someone who knows how. :lol:

This time I'm making sure I print out all the relevant information so I don't have to go looking for it again.

Thanks, you really have helped, and I understood you as well. :D
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

allycat wrote:
Right, found that easy enough, had a dot in the disable boxes but had an IP Address Tab, found IP address and subnet mask.

I now have the number as well.

Good ;)

allycat wrote:
Oh it's so easy when you have someone who knows how. :lol:

Don't worry, if we get into trouble we can always scream for help and ATNO's or Jim will come to the rescue LOL

allycat wrote:
Thanks, you really have helped, and I understood you as well. :D

Glad to hear that :D
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

[/quote]
Have you tried to boot directly from the cd? put your CD on the drive and reboot, it mey tell you if you want to boot from there to start setup.[/quote]

Another question I'm afraid, If I boot from the Windows CD, will It give me the option to wipe everything clean, reformat I mean, before installing Windows.

Sorry but I'm a bit confused about that because I thought - that I needed to boot from the floppy, to be able to use the CD Rom drivers that would be on there to access CD Rom support.

Now I suppose I've confused everyone else as well as myself. I hope someone can understand what I'm getting at. :oops:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts