Need a flowchart and some good reading

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm setting up a network.

I have a dell power edge 2650. A MilesTek 24 port Category 5E patch panel and a linksys 24 port EF3124 Ethernet switch.

I have a dsl modem feeding a linksys wrt110 router that will be used to get the server online. I already have all the drops we need (12) coming into the back of the MilesTek in ports 1 through 12. I also have a network cable running from the back of the PowerEdge 2650 to a port on the linksys EF3124. I think I'm suppose to run cables from the linksys EF3124 to the front of the MilesTek. Is this correct?

Can someone direct me to a good walk-thru that will help me get everything hooked up properly? Or flow-chart this out for me of what goes where.

My bro knows all of this but was hospitalized today and when he gets out I want to atleast have all the wires hooked up.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this is what you need. I havn't done a great deal with networks so I would wait for someone else's response too.

edit:
where the lines above the patch panel are the front of the patch panel and the back being below, which you already have connected, so an ethernet goes from each port 1-12 to 12 ports in the switch (numbers don't have to match those on the switch of course though it would be tidier).
The server is just another node of course, but with correct ports forwarded in the router for external access if necessary and its ip set for various protocols (file server, mail server etc) within the nodes
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Bozebo. That's something like I was looking for.

I could also use a URL to some good sites that has some reading on it. My searches just aren't finding relevant search pages to what I need, but really the flow chart you made can get me moving forward.

thnx again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts