I need a hardware experts advice.

• Barlcat
  • Barlcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well basicaaly i've been looking through various forums for information on spontaneous pc crashes due to the slightest bump or momentary earthing.

My pc was a reliable beast at one stage, never gave me a single woe - Then suddenly one day it crashed. No reason whatsoever. Just crashed -mid game. It used to happen every few days, now it happens most times a turn the thing on or whenever i either move it (even the cat jumping off the couch can set it off) or if i touch it or remove the headphones or plug something in to usb (any port.)

I doesn't do it every time- but if i were a gambling man i'd be putting my money on it crashing more often than not.

So what i want to know is ( for all you hardware savy types ). Would this be due to my motherboard being installed incorrectly? I mean being shorted by touching case? - The thing is though, i'd had the motherbarod right where it is for months before having any issues.

Also, could it be a power issue? I've got a 6000+ dualcore cpu, 3gigs of ddr2 667 ram, geforce 8800gts 320mb and all running off 600watt PSU. Is that enough? Are there any diagnostics to run on a motherboard for such issues?

I considered that it may be that the power supply might not be enough, that the cpu might be over heating or that the cards weren't seated correctly. It crashes on boot so i doubt it's temperature related - I went to a site that totals your power consumption and i was under 600watts. Lastly, I re-seated everything in my computer bar the mother board and cpu.

I might purchase a new motherboard but cant really afford it and would rather raise the middle finger of success to this thorn in my side. Please help
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does it say in the event viewer system and application log files?

Is that enough memory for today's games?
  • Barlcat
  • Barlcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know.. i haven't actually checked the event logs. I will tonight.

As far as games go, my machine is built for gaming. It's more than equipped to handle todays strenuous gaming, performance demands.

Well.. it is on paper anyway :(
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a gamer but I heard that some of the new games need big time memory. That's why I mentioned it.

Let us know what the event viewer says.
  • Barlcat
  • Barlcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sure will. Thanks for your interest Don.
  • Barlcat
  • Barlcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

So i checked my event logs and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Where to now. Any and all suggestions would be bountiful.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would raise the virtual memory. If that doesn't work, check with the software companies who make the games to be sure of the memory requirements.
  • Barlcat
  • Barlcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

My virtual memory is huge and i have tree gigs of DDR2 667 RAM. Thats way above current day recommended RAM requirements for games.
The thing is too, i wonder how having low virtual memory or RAM could make my system sensitive to vibration and earthing..

Yep, it's a head scratcher alright.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Going back to your original post where you said that the PC crashed mid game, I was wondering if it only happens during one particular game or could it be any game?
  • Barlcat
  • Barlcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

It happens on boot, mid game - anything. I'm sorry my original post was misleading.
I could be firing up a movie and my roomy will lean on the tower and bam. crashed.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lean on the tower? Now it sounds like something is lose inside. Try to make it happen again. Smack it a few times.
  • Barlcat
  • Barlcat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh trust me i have.

Sometimes its good to vent my rage with a sharp backhand to the case than taking it outside and backing over it in my car.

I'm going to have another look at whether the case is touching the MoBo and re-seat the chips again.

SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts