Need Help building a server....

• Legion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Woods Cross, Utah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to build a gaming server. I "aquired" a box of amd 2000 athlon xp's (don't ask how) and wondered if some one with more expierance can help get me started.

We have fairly large lan parties and my celeron 1.2 just doesn't cut it as a dedicated server.

My focus is, Minimum cost, and using the cpus i have.

I am looking at a gigabyte dual cpu Mobo.

Also, is there a low cost server program that would be best for this? And is it possible to host this server privately on my cable connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have learned so much just reading all your posts!!

Thanks
Legion
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a dual processor motherboard, wouldn't you need Athlon MP processors, not Athlon XP processors?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, i agree with ya there
either the amd mp's or an opteron

servers like that mainly need lots of Ram, the clely would be ok i suppose, for about 10 ppl.

just needs Ram mainly
  • Legion
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can get Amd athlon Mp's. Also i was planning on two gigs of ram. Are there no boards that can run just plan athlons?

The biggest concern for me is the Os.
I basicly have no expierance setting up a server, and while i am basicly familar with linux, it looks like a server might be difficult. Windows server stuff is ungodley expensive.

Anything else i need to be aware of?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002m ... 010765.htm

With a small mod you can run dual XP's. Worth looking into I guess.
  • Legion
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats crazy. Ill try that just to try it.

At newegg they have this gigabyte board as near as i can tell its designed to run on regular Athlon xp's. GIGABYTE "GA-7DPXDW-P" AMD-760 MPX Chipset Server motherboard for Dual AMD Socket A CPU.

i already ordered 2 Amd 1.2 mp's and a tyan board (TYAN "Tiger MPX (S2466N-4M)" AMD-760 MPX Chipset Server Motherboard for Dual AMD Socket A CPU)

But since i have the extra cpus i thought i might order the gigabyte board just to try it out. I have had really good luck on the gigabyte based computers i have built in the past.

Thanks for the link :)
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

You sure you need an actual server operating system? If its just a game server, XP or 2000 should do the job as good if not better. Server OS's are typically resource intensive themselves thus possibly eating up CPU cycles/RAM that could be making the games a little faster! :lol:

Also if you go for Linux, you'd need to check that all the games you wanted to play support it.

S

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts