Need help : Want to overclock 700mhz Celeron !

• peacemaker
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • peacemaker

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have this 700mhz Celeron in

a Compaq Presario 5000 ; Can I

receive some tech advice or i :P nputs ? Thank you all 8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

HAHAHAHAHA! I laugh at you! My mom has the same computer! Good luck, but I could only oc hers 1mhz.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The possibility of overclocking a retail system is very slim. Plus the system it self is so old it would be cheaper to get a newer system. Along with the speed it would be a smarter decision to purchase a new system. On the overclocking side it would be a waste if it was even possible. Yet it is an interesting idea.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to concur with twmspro. That computer best serves as a paper-weight at this point. A slow system by todays standards is at least twice to three times faster than that. My new system at work is a HP DC7600C with a Pentium 660 3.6Ghz HT with 4GB of PC2-4200 running Windows Server 2003 Standard with Windows Vista loaded on a partition and its slower than dog crap. Server 2003 works great - but vista is so slow, its unusable.

I can understand for fiscal reasons - but overclocking only leads to instability and damage. Sure, your system may work perfectly - but its only a matter of time. I used to be the biggest, baddest hardcore overclocker on the block but it got to the point where the gains weren't worth it. Even if a system would crunch along for years, one day it WILL cause a problem.

For what you will ivest into the system to have the capability to overclock it, you could purchase a new system. Take a strong look at some of the value-based processors and hardware solutions on the market.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts