need help with router

• Akira
  • Born
  • Born
  • Akira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there!

Sorry, haven't read any other threads, so if I am completely wrong in this forum, please excuse me...

I ve got a serious problem in my company, and unforunately, I'm not into IT, so I don't know what to do... maybe you can help me...

We use a LAN to connect our computers... most of them are Macs, my boss and I are the only PC users... the problem: after about 25-20 mins, the two PCs are no longer connected to the internet... we have to do the following procedure in order to get access again: We have to mannually determine the IP Adress, submask, gateway, and DNS (at "Properties of Internet protocol"... after that, we go back to "Propeerties of Internet Protocol" and switch back to "obtain IP Adress automatically"... and then, we've access to the internet again... for another 20 mins... after that, the same thing happens again, and we have to use the same procedure...

in addition, one PC can only access the internet if the other is also in the internet (although there's no connection between these two)...

so who knows a little bit more about these things said that there could perhaps be a problem with the router... what should/can I do?

would be great if you could help me... thx in advance

regards,
Christoph (Austria)
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

are all the setting Properties of Internet protocol set to obtain IP Adress automatically if so then try to get in to the router and change the release time to more then 20 mins if you can

if this dose not work someone else should or will post a diffrent way
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which router? What is your dhcp lease time?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Akira stated that they are not IT. So I doubt they know anything about DHCP release times. But I would agree that DHCP is a problem. What happens when you staticly assign the IP, can you get to the net? If so, leave them set as static.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

An easier way would to go Start->Run->"ipconfig /renew"

You will still need to do that every 20-25 minutes. I would then suggest calling your router manufacturer and ask them about modifying the "DHCP Lease" time on the router. They will walk you through it.
  • Akira
  • Born
  • Born
  • Akira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx for your replies...

I checked the DHCP lease time on my computer... in fact, I have really no idea what DHCP is... it's not activated on my computer... isn't this so because I use a static IP Adress?

Anyway, DHCP is active at my bosses' PC...

about the DHCP lease time: I looked it up on the computer.. on the PC of my boss, it says that the DHCP lease time will expire in September... is that of any help to you?

On my PC, I don't see any DHCP lease time...

and unfortunately, I don't know the name of the router...

one question: If its a prblem of the DHCP lease time, why are the Macs not affected by the problem?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Question. When I get into work I'll ask one of the Mac nuts I know.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol "mac nuts" sounds yummy :lol:

i really dislike Macs there more for office use than anything. dont get me wrong there still good comps....just....not....for....GAMING! :shock:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Usually DHCP is installed on a server and it is responsible for handing out IP addresses to client PC's that are DHCP enabled (obtain IP address automatically). Some routers can also handle DHCP.

DNS on the otherhand is resposible for getting you out onto the internet. DNS handles name resolutions (computer name to IP) for internal (host records) and external resources (root hints) depending on how your DNS server is setup.

The default gateway is what points your PC to the router so the router can route you to where you need to go whether that be to a network share or to the internet.

All these things work together so you can access your network resources and the internet.

Pin pointing your exact problem will be difficult without knowing how DNS and DHCP are configured for your workplace.

If you have your PC set statically you will not have a DHCP release time. And if you cannot reach the internet then it is possible that either your IP address, subnet mask, default gateway are wrong. You would also need to know the IP address of the DNS server to make it all work smoothly. The preferred DNS server can be an internal DNS server or the ISP's DNS server.

What we really need to know is how is your workplace configured. Otherwise we will be taking stabs in the dark.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, mac nuts. They like macs, and they are a few sandwiches short of a good picnic.

Macs are great for....Paperweights. and, spending money when the wife your divorcing finds out you cheated on her with the 20yr old next door. Other than that, not really useful at all. I still would like one though, I need something to mount my new beer bottle opener to.

Anyhow, I asked them and they had no idea. I do know that macs sometimes like to create havoc in a Mac vs PC workplace. IT (read: Eye-Tee) manager's nightmare.
  • Akira
  • Born
  • Born
  • Akira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, the problem was solved by an IT expert... please do not ask me what exactly the problem was, but he told me something like there were some conflicting hardware parts + configurations... we had to get a new router... thank you very much for all your help and posts
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

$100.00 says it was an "Extreme Networks" router. A friend of mine used one of those no-named things in his office that had Mac's and Windows machines. Always had network problems. But with all of one or another it would work flawlessly.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

.... Mmmmmmm....Mac nuts.

....i.....need.....mac nutz!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts