Need new cable modem and router

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My parents network is shot.

They have NJ Comcast Cable connected to a DLink DCM-202 Cable modem which is connected to a DLink DFL-200 Firewall VPN Router, also connect to that router is a DWL-2100AP which uses the DFL's DHCP to assign IP addresses and a DGS-1008D 10/100/1000 network switch, where I have 6 computers connected to by wire.

Now the cable modem and the router exchange way too much chatter which really kills the speed. I need the end-all/be-all best cable modem for Comcast Cable (12Mbps) and I want at least a 100Mbps LAN port on the cable modem. Then I need a router with a 100Mbps or 1.0Gbps WAN port. The router also needs a good firewall (better than the DFL-200 which had a kickbutt IDS).

As for the switch, I'm going all-out for an HP Procurve web-managed switch.

Then all tat is left is the Wireless Access Point and I may upgrade them to N. So I may keep the DWL-2100AP until a final revision ratified N router is released (it will be a while).

I have some ideas on the router but I'm looking for some suggestions if people have thought of stuff I have missed.

I appreciate the help,

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did you come to the conclusion that 'chatter' between the modem and router was causing a speed problem? I don't know if I would buy new equipment so fast. I've had good luck with TCPOptimizer from speedguide.net Run it on one of the machines and see if your speed increases.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a hardware traffic analyzer by BlackBox I "borrowed" from work. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5500 packets per minute just for BS. The computer's TCP settings are fine.

I'm a little nuts - but I manage an entire mission-critical network for reasearch robotics and lab automation. My own house-setup is a little crazy too, but I have verizon FIOS and was able to bribe the Verizon guy to put in my own ONT. :-D

It's not JUST the speed though. For one the router suddenly likes to not give IP addresses and lately has been freaking out giving some really odd IP's. It took 15 minutes at one point to get an IP address. I re-flashed it and everything. DLink support sucks too, they have the dumbest tech support people. They don't understand that I have a couple degrees in CS and CE and that when I need to call Tech Support - I really have a problem that some $8/hr phone-jockey isn't going to solve.

That stuff is old too, I must have bought that stuff like 2 years ago.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have FIOS too and the speed sucked until I ran TCPOptimizer. That thing changes settings that I didn't know existed. Try it first on your parents network. It's free and it only takes a few minutes.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done most of them that are worth anything. I've hacked up Windows XP in so many different ways, I can take every tweak on the internet and consolidate them into a page at most.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try TCPOptimizer on one machine at least. You have nothing to lose.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts