I need printer ideas...

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, I have a Brother MFC-J615W printer that I got for $99.00 at Staples a while ago. It's a great printer, other than the fax not liking my MagicJack. I used it to replace an HP MFC that worked well, except with Mac - which is my OS of choice for day to day tasks. However, I go through ink like I go through toilet paper and I'm a meatitarian. It's not supper unless it has parents. :-D

I do not like HP printers. Of the printer related problems I face with my customers, 99.9998% of the time its an HP printer. It's not really the hardware, but the software. It's the absolute worst in terms of obscene bloat, design and (lack of) function. The software even causes severe system instabilities and most times it the cause of other problems. Recently, it also has been the cause of security issues and caused a few clients to get viruses and malware.

Anyway, I print a lot. The two things I print the most? #10 Security Envelopes and 22lb 98 bright Letter paper. I on rare occasion print to legal, 11x17 and heavier higher gloss papers. I don't really do photo printing, but it would be nice to have high quality prints every once and a while.

Needs:
* CMYK Color Laser
* Color Print, Scan, Copy & Fax.
* Two input trays. Not inputs, but Trays that hold reserves of paper.
* Ethernet
* Ability to Print, Scan, Copy and Fax from Ethernet on a Mac (Intel OS X 10.6.7)
* Small margins - doesn't need to be edge to edge, but closer than .95" on the right side. I'd say within .4" or less all around.
* Can't be larger than: 22.5" W x 22.5" D x 32" H. However, if it's within 11" of the middle or more than 8" off the base, it can have a protrusion that can go as wide as 25"
* Good at printing #10 envelopes from a tray. My brother does it well, I can fit like 20 in at a time.

Wishes:
A fax machine that will work with MagicJack. $1.70 a month is cheaper than $15.00 a month that the phone company wants to charge. Of course, when it did work, it only worked 30% of the time. The brother never worked. I need a better fax solution. I need to send and receive faxes and I am cheap.

Price:
I don't want a $10,000 printer. As cheap as humanly possible. I need to justify the one-off cost with the cost of paying $60 every other month. That's $360 a year, so I'd like an ROI of 2 years. So I need a printer that's less than: $826.00. I included $99 + tax I spent on the Brother.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree about the HP printer software being a mess. I don't like their laptops either. I went back to Epson. I didn't need the fax & all that so I went with a Workforce 520. It's good for the money so far.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking at the Konica Minolta MagiColor 4695MF which is around $870.00, a little over budget but it's a significantly nicer printer.

I can also add an extra 500 page feeding tray, an extra 512MB of ram and a 40GB hdd to it. Which if you have ever tried to print a 500-page report complete with graphics, text and everything else from ethernet you will know why that HDD is important.

Epson doesn't have laser office printers.

Ricoh doesn't have a desktop color laser multifunction and the rest are $3,000+. Unless I lease one.

Canon's cheapest solution is $840 - which is on target, but the Konica looks like the better deal. The toner cartridges do 2,000 pages less and it has some weird 2400dpi x 600 dpi equivalent. Not sure what that means to be honest. The Minolta does 9600 x 600 straight up. Both do a normal 600 x 600 dpi for non photo. And the canon only has 10/100 Ethernet when the Minolta has gigabit.

Oh, and you can't call them "printers" you have to call them copiers. Ohh jeez. The one guy from canon was almost insulted I called it a printer.

I still hate HP. Though.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You already know I dislike HP printers as well, but since HP I have always used Canon printers and have been quite happy with them. Currently at one of my offices I have the Canon MX870 printer and have zero complaints. Works exactly like I expect. I have printed on #10 Security Envelopes with it, and zero problems there. I have not tried printing on the larger legal paper format. This one is not a laser printer though so would not work for your situation, but as you are well aware canon does have affordable laser printers too, and I would expect that their products would work at least somewhat similarly functionality wise.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still waiting on a Canon sales rep to call me back. I told the guy at 9:30 am EST to have him call me before 2:30 PM EST. That was over two hours ago. I guess they don't want to sell a printer.

One of my guys sent me a link to the Brother 9460CDN which is really nice, and half the price of the others. It only has 128MB of memory, which I am not too keen on, but has better resolution. The toner cartridges do significantly less printing. Only 2,500 - 4,000 pages, but the high capacity ones cost under $100 each. Where the others are $130 - $200 each. But 4,000 pages will last me an entire year.

Then I'm also looking at a Samsung. It's cheaper than the big guns, but lacks some things. More comparable to the Brother. Except $100 more expensive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts