Do I need XP Pro x64?

• hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

My processor is a AMD 3800+ Dualcore x64 and I was told that I can use x32 addition of xp pro, is this ture? If it is, what advatages will I get with getting xp pro x64 then waiting for windows vista x64? Also, I just read a topic from june of last year and someone said that Windows Xp Home wont work on X2 Processors, is this true?
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

My processor is a AMD 3800+ Dualcore x64 and I was told that I can use x32 addition of xp pro, is this ture? If it is, what advatages will I get with getting xp pro x64 then waiting for windows vista x64? Also, I just read a topic from june of last year and someone said that Windows Xp Home wont work on X2 Processors, is this true?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes you can run 32bit Windows on a 64bit machine. Some reports state that it actually runs faster but who really knows.

XP Home is a waste of time OS. It was designed for the average user who is not interested in dual core systems. XP home will probably work but will not use the second core as it is not SMB enabled.

You could always get the 64bit version of XP Pro if you don't want to wait for Vista.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lets keep this question in one area please.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is "Windows XP Pro x64 Corporate" the same as "Windows XP Pro x64?"
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds to me like your looking for a pirated version. If that is the case, my help stops here.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the "Corporate" thing is piracey, I wont go near it. I stoped piracy 3 years ago when I thought I was in trouble for it. Thanks for notifying me about this.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Corporate Editions are usually volume license keyed, meaning one product key but can be installed on many machines, usually the most highly pirated versions. So unless you run a corporation and plan on installing it a million times, you don't need it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Corporate Editions are usually volume license keyed, meaning one product key but can be installed on many machines, usually the most highly pirated versions. So unless you run a corporation and plan on installing it a million times, you don't need it.

Or if you are a crazed, ultraparanoid computer geek that doesn't like activation and you happen to have a small mission-critial datacenter running out of your laundry room that you sit in night after night with a tin-foil helmet listening to rammstein on infinite repeat then you might want a VL key for your own personal use.

I run the computing needs of my entire extended family, so I "loan" them computer systems with the latest software that I manage the licenses for, and I upgrade them on a set schedule. Usually once a year for most of them. I actually purchased through my various business contacts a VL contract that actually saves me over 80% on the cost of Windows XP Pro 32bit per computer. Actually my sales rep just quoted me a decent price on Vista, and with Vista I can use the same license for 32bit and 64bit. So once license covers all my hardware. I do the same thing with antivirus, however Symantec is being grouchy with prices lately so I am dropping them for Trend Micro.

If you know the right people and your needs are up there and you want freedom without breaking the law. You can get the same deals large corporations get. Actually, I have stopped all retail purchasing. If I need something I call a sales rep and negotiate, something you can't do with an online shopping cart. It's always good to have your own personal shell-corporation. Call it <your name here> enterprises and get a federal tax ID. Make sure its limited liability and then reap the benefits of lower car insurance, and tax free purchasing especially if you are listed as a research organization in Pennsylvania. Or incorporate in delaware and pay no sales tax whatsoever.

Its amazed what you can get away with if you have the right paperwork.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point. I need to get busy on GrinchyNet Enterprises then :D
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for that wonderfully grey tax evasion lesson GT500Shlby... :P

Post Information