Need some advice on Wifi connection

• hoangxom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello guys,

I have a desktop connected to the internet with a ADSL modem through USB port, a LAN connection to share the internet through a 5 port Switch, my internet speed is 512. Actually I don't use all the ports of the Switch, there are 2 of them that are not in use. My question is: Can I use the ports that are not in use to connect a Wifi access point to share wireless connection? If yes, what do I need to buy and how can I connect it?

Thanks a lot for spending your time reading this, and of course, your helping me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, you need to buy wireless access point. connect that to the switch and then configure the SSID, CHANNEL and WEP key if you want.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

diet wrote:
yes, you need to buy wireless access point. connect that to the switch and then configure the SSID, CHANNEL and WEP key if you want.

but keep in mind that other people useing your net will slow your dl speeds if they are downloading aswell.. if it will be used for just going to sites then all will be fine..
  • hoangxom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

diet wrote:

Thank you for your fast reply. Another question: using the SSID and WEP, can I establish a password to control the access to my WLAN (Just allow people that I know to access the internet through my network)? And where do I configure the SSID, WEP and CHANNEL? In the Switch, the desktop o the laptop? (sorry for this question, I'm pretty new with this stuff).
Thanks again.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not sure but I think all that is configured within the access point using a web browser.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The SSID and WEP key will need to be known in order to access your wireless network. So in essence the WEP is kind of like a password. If you know it you can get in.

But keep in mind WEP can easily be hacked. I think the last statistic I read on WEP cracking was that it can be done in under 30 seconds using freeware publicly available on the net.

If you are a security conscious person then you may want to turn off SSID broadcasting and use MAC filtering.

MAC filtering will only allow approved MAC addresses access. Even this is not fool proof as you can spoof MAC addresses.

All I am trying to say is be vigilent and be aware that it is very easy to get into someone's wireless network.
  • diet
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

yah! your right grinch2171....by the way hoangxom you can configure that in web management, if you buy the device just look for the manual it's in their.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you could use WPA, I hear that's pretty strong.

I'd probably just use WEP - no one in my neighborhood would really steal my 'nets. Even if they wanted to crack the WEP it'd be pretty stupid to take the time to crack it just so they could get a little net. There's plenty of people with unsecured wireless nets they could mooch off of. :P
  • hoangxom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all for your help. Another thing that worries me is: Does wifi signals affect human health? Where should I place the access point ? (living room, bedroom?) If I want to put it inside the bedroom, will it affect health? I have searched on the NET about this, but I found nothing specific. Can you provide some information about this, please.

Thanks again.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

All except my son being born with a third eye my family is quite healthy :D

Seriously though, there is no health risks to running a wireless network that I am aware of.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

most of them run at the same frequency of cordless phones. so, if you've got a 2.4 ghz corldess pone, and you havent developed brain cancer, you'll be fine.
  • Ha!!Ha!!
  • Ha!!Ha!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't know http://www.ozzu.com/images/smiles/starwars.gif how to by it its like a fight with dark vader
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts