Do I need a sound card?

• 360Varial
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • 360Varial

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm too cheap and broke to purchase a new sound card right now. Will someone please review these specs for my onboard sound and tell me if I should still get good quality sound from my computer with a set of Z-2300s?

I don't know anything about sound cards; that's why I can't do it myself.

If you have time compare it to Audigy 2 or something. It's for music only.

Thanks.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-2.aspx?modelid=2004058
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't need a soundcard. They will definitely improve the quality of the music you are listening to though.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you were to get a soundcard, get the SoundBlaster X-Fi Music.
You could find it for about $100 or so at the lowest. Brand new technology improving the Sound Card development once again!
  • 360Varial
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • 360Varial

Post 3+ Months Ago

No one has told me what they think about my onboard sound. I know you will probably say all onbaord sound sucks, but mine seem to have pretty good specs. What you think? :D
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should be able to get along just find with the onboard sound. If you decide to get an increase in quality, you can do so later down the line.
  • 360Varial
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • 360Varial

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
I think you should be able to get along just find with the onboard sound. If you decide to get an increase in quality, you can do so later down the line.

I hope so. My speakers should arrive tomorrow and I don't want them to be a waste of money.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Onboard sound will always be worse than offboard sound because of the electrical "noise" that is create by other components on the motherboard. If you're going to buy an expensive set of speakers, I would definitely recommend getting an expansion soundcard as soon as you can. As blink182av mentioned, the Creative X-Fi is the latest and greatest and seems to be netting good reviews so far.
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Moncton, NB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally have found a big difference in PC performance with a soundcard as opposed to using the onboard sound, especially when playing games. I also find the electrical noise to be bothersome on the onboard sounds as well. Even something as old as a soundblaster live 5.1 card will remove the excess noise and improve quality, at least it did for me. You can pick up those cards now for $35 cdn or less:

http://robotnik.com/product.php?product ... =36&page=1

Go pick one up you cheap monkey!!! :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts