In need of a UPS

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The office that I work in is a piece of crap. Every weekend the power mysteriously goes out. I have one File Server that is really important and the users that utilize this server come into work before I do and cannot access their files until I come in and turn the machine on. So I need a good reliable UPS.

Please give me your recommendations. Price is an issue since my boss is a tight wad.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you need an electrition :)

How strong must the UPS be?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

How long does the power go off for when it goes out?

If it's more than half an hour or so, what you need is a UPS and a Generator.

I've got an APC XS1000 - poweres two PCs + router, switch & cablemodem (not printers or monitors) for about 35 minutes in the event of power loss.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since it usually happens over the weekend while I'm not at work I have no idea. But I have an APC 2200 hooked up to the Exchange Server and that one doesn't need to be restarted, so I am assuming it is brief. And before you ask, that UPS is filled so I can't add the file server.

The UPS needs to be strong enough to power just a Windows 2003 File Server and my desktop. This last power outage killed my PSU, luckily I already have one PC down so I stole that PS and put it in my desktop.

I'll have to look into an electrician. This building sucks. I share it with the supply guys. So it is basically a run down warehouse. Every storm we get knocks out the power and for a while when someone used the microwave the power would go out.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

In reguards to how long the power goes out, to go goodwill or such and get an electric mechanical clock. Set the time, and when the power goes out, the clock will stop moving. Monday morning, see how many mins the clock is off by and you can then look into what capacity UPS you will be needing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts