Network data transfer

• Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a system admin I have 14 servers. One of them is out of space, the problem is I have 300 plus users and am trying to repartition the shared drive "without" losing any of the data. I know I can get partition magic, but it doesn't support sub directories in the hundreds, I also have a time issue. I can't complete this during normal work hours, so an over night solution or weekend one has to be it. The drive and data is 600 gigs.

My two thought are this:
1. Network cross over cable
2. USB data transfer cable

Copy the data and shared drives to another new computer with a 200+gig HDD. The shared drives are no more than 100-150 gigs.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe there is a more technological way to do it but I like the crossover cable idea. Send out a NOTAM to your users and say the shared drive will be unavailable from the end of work Friday to beginning of work Monday. At the end of the day, butt the servers back to back with a crossover cable (I am assuming they are close by) and copy the files over. This way you can ensure 1. no one will be trying to open/modify the files while you are transfering them and 2. the full bandwith of the connection will be dedicated to the transfering of the files, not burning up bandwith on any switches or routers.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have already told everyone to get their files off the server that they can. I have a tape back up of everything of course, but I don't know if all of it can be copied over in weekend. Any ideas on the data transfer rate of the crossover cable vs the USB 2.0 cable? theoretically the crossover is 100 I know, but what's the real world transfer rate?

Anyone ever tried something like this before?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I remember correctly, the overhead in TCP can reach up to 30%. That would still leave you with a pretty fast connection. The USB transfer cables I have seen transfer at about 15Mbytes/sec even on USB 2.0
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/435/09/14.html wrote:
Fast Ethernet (IEEE 802.3u) is an extension of the original flavor with 10 times the theoretical bandwidth of the 10MB specification. Fast Ethernet borrowed the electrical signaling of another 100MB copper-based technology called CDDI (Copper Distributed Data Interface, based on FDDI). This new Ethernet constitutes the bulk of the 100MB network technologies, far outstripping the number of nodes in place using FDDI and CDDI. The primary driver for this success has been cost and familiarity. 100MB Ethernet suffers from the same CSMA/CD protocol that made earlier Ethernet specifications less efficient. Pushing the Ethernet to 60 percent of its bandwidth on a shared 100MB LAN results in significantly reduced response time and throughput. In most installations, Fast Ethernet is around 2.5 times faster in practice than 10MB Ethernet, in part because of the speed of components such as the disk drives, which transfer data on both ends.

So by this it seems that the true max connection speed is more like 25MB/sec. By those calculations, 600GB would take about 7 hours to transfer the data. That being said, it will probably take longer, so it looks like a good plan to do it on the weekend.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts