Network hardware issue

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a pretty strange problem that I'm trying to narrow down to either my cable modem or my router. Any help would be appreciated.

Symptoms: All internet connections tend to take a very long time to initially connect to the host (mail, ftp, web browser, games etc). Frequently when browsing the web I'll get network timeout errors. If I hit reload or click the link again the page loads just fine. The strange thing is that I can get timeouts/unavailable errors from pages in the same domain. For example the ozzu.com home page might load and then the forms page won't. Once the connection is negotiated I get extremely fast load times (speedtest.net has shown down/up speeds as high as 30mb/6mb).

I would typically assume that this is an OS problem but my Vista machine with a wired connection and my Macbook Pro with a wireless connection are both experiencing the same symptoms. My machines all have the latest drivers and my router has the latest firmware.

Anyone have any ideas what the culprit might be? My ISP (comcast) is being less than helpful and trying to tell me that vista is setup incorrectly (they won't even discuss my mac).

Hardware is Netgear WGR614 v6 and a Motorola SurfBoard 5000 series Cable Modem
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First step is hardwire directly to the modem with at least one of the computers. If the problem goes away, you've narrowed it down to the router. I used to have exactly the same router, and had the same problem. Even had Comcast techs out to the house twice. The second one figured out it was the router. I switched to a lynksys router and the problem vanished. For some reason the router would only connect at 10 mbps and like you once connection was established speed was fine but getting there was a pain in the arse.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm an idiot. Never even thought to go directly into the modem. However, its interesting that you had the same problem with the same hardware. That helps a bit a least. I'll try removing the router from the equation and report back.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts