network infrastucture advice needed

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking to set up a home LAN for a couple of computers and maybe a NAS. i would like to make it a wireless network. I already have a cable router, the good ol' Linksys BEFSR41.

my question is, do you think it would be better to try to keep using this router and just add a wireless access point into the network, or scrap the Linksys router and get a wireless cable router?

i'm leaning toward just getting the wireless cable router rather than the access point, as both seem to be fairly close in price. any advantages to one set up over the other?

mark
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, let me clarify my thinking, as it may effect what i need to do. I have a printer w/print server, laptop and desktop i want to network. the internet connection is in another part of the house (living room), and i do not want to run the cable from wall to the other room where the computers are (computer room).

my thinking of how to structure this network is as follows:

1) network the above devices in the "computer room" using the regular cable router.

2) connect a wireless router to the cable connection in the living room.

3) add a wireless access point to the network in the computer room in order to connect the computer room to the living room.

My thinking is the wireless access point and a wireless card run about the same money. if i were to skip the wireless access point, i would need to buy a wireless card for the desktop in order to access the internet. doing that however would leave me issues connecting the network printer to the network, as there would be no RJ-45 connections in the computer room, it would be all wireless. Of course, I could aways connect it wirelessly, but that's an extra piece of hardware i would need to buy.

However, could I use an access point in the living room instead of a wireless router? so, essentially you would have a regular cable router with an access point connecting to another wireless access point which connects to the internet connection in the living room. i'm thinking no, as you need the router to route internet traffic, but i've not used an access point before, so i'm not sure of their capabilities.

mark
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

possibilities, run a cable/dsl router with built-in access point at the internet connection and put a wet11 (linksys wireless bridge) on the standard cable/dsl router in the WAN port or Internet port (which ever one it is printed on the standard cable/dsl router) Then set the wet11, the standard cable/dsl, and all the PC's and laptop to obtain address from DHCP server and set the cable/dsl router w/AP to be the DHCP server and that should do the trick for you. If the standard cable/dsl router gives you trouble with doing NATing then you may just want to get a standard hub and put it in place of the standard cable/dsl router. If you go with a hub instead of the standard cable/dsl router plug the wet11 into the uplink port. This will be kinda expense the wet11 usually runs around $120 last time I checked and a linksys cable/dsl router w/AP runs around $50 to $80. A standard 4 port hub w/uplink port will probably run around $20 to $40. So your looking at around $190 to $240 to set it up this way. Oh and by the way if your laptop has wireless built in or you buy a wireless card for it you can roam around the house and a little bit outside depending on the placement of the AP and the type of materials (particularly metal) around the house. Enjoy :D

here is a pic for reference, yes I have no life and yes I like Visio a little to much to pass on an opportunity to make a Visio drawing :twisted:

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow! great diagram, thanks so much! do you think there are any advantages or disadvantages to using a wireless access point vs. a wireless bridge?

mark
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used a WAP on my existing network and it woked just fine.
However, that was because it was the low budget setup I needed
to get it accomplished. I had it set up just like that diagram
actually (nice one MD). It was with the B network, and for
internet was great. For anything across my own network it was
slow as molasses in january @ <11mbps depending on where
I was in the house. Dreadful....

If you have the budget, and a true need for internal network
use other than the net, I would say to go with a newer G-band
network. Get a new router and cards, and spend only a bit
more than you would buying the WAP and get a superior
setup.

Just my 2 cents.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Side thought if you go WAP, make sure you can set security by MAC address access only so you can prevent folks from leeching off of you.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the kind comments on the drawing, you should see the layout for my business's new wireless network to support a few hundred wireless clients :twisted: I would have to change some of the names on the drawing so I could post it or actually I would have to make a link the drawing is pretty big :twisted: let me know if u guy's want to see it :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts