Network Storage

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all. It's been a while since I've posted anything but now I'm back with another queston.

I've recently switched backup software and am running out of disk space quickly. The compression is not very good with the new software.

Instead of upgrading the server itself, i was thinking of getting a network storage device to backup to. Somewhere in the 4Tb range.

I've got a budget of up to about $600.

Anybody have any ideas? I've been serching the web but havn't found anything that stands out.

Thanks in advance.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically I think what you are looking for is a NAS server. NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. One of my clients recently asked me about this and he narrowed down his choices to the following three:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358518,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373803,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380053,00.asp

Didn't look at the prices on these, I do know one is closer to $1000 though. He ended up going with the Synology DS1511+ and he is apparently really happy with it. His old method of backing up was to a USB based external hard drive, so the performance difference for him was outstanding once he upgraded to the NAS server. I think the problem for you and the above three is that the amount of disk space is far below your requirements, but there may be other NAS servers out there that could suit your needs. They may be above your budget range though.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

you are correct. a NAS server is more what i'm loooking for. I'll take a look at the above 3 and if they are not what i'm after, they may point me in the right direction.

thanks!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does this help any?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what i've gone with.

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications ... y=L49-1156

I've already order (4) 1TB hard drives for it. I'm thinking Raid 5 would work...

Any suggestions?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

RAID-5 is perfect for your needs.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all, I'm going to revive this thread a little. I bought the LG NAS server and it has been working quite well. I do have one issue with it though.

I've tried to add it into my Active Directory but it will not do it and I don't know why. I called LG Support and they said "Sorry". This sucks but it isn't required for my purpose.

So now I'm looking for anther NAS device. One that will actually work in my Active Directoy. I want to use it as a file server and it should do Raid 5 of at least 6TB.

Any help here would be great and first hand knowlege with a device in active directory would be better.

I've only got a budget up to $1500.

Thanks in advance
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You bought the LG N4B2N right? It says it supports AD so what problem are you having?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I bought the LG N4B2N. When you are trying to connect it to the AD, it says it is unable to connect. This is right after you input the admin account name and password that is allowed to join to domain.

The LG support said there has been a problem with people connecting these devices to AD, even though they are advertising it. Not much support there.

So I'd like to have my new NAS device "proven" to be able to connect to AD.

Thanks.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to help but I don't have any experience in this realm so I couldn't recommend anything to you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts