My NEW COMPUTER KEEPS MESSING UP

• Viva_La_bAM
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Viva_La_bAM

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey everyone i just got a new pc because my old pc burnt out due to other problems, so yeah anyways i have a new computer now, it has 1 gig of RAM, its an AMD64 something or rather, and yeah it seems ok, but yeah..

the thing is after about 15 minutes of being on, the darn thing turns off and resets itself, i know this might be a common thing but this shouldnt be happening.. its a new ocmputer... :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's most likely a heat-related problem. Find out the temperature inside your case, near your CPU, and near your video card.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

That isnt a "common thing". Have you gone back to the store to let them test it for you? As TomK pointed out, when a computer resets itself or shuts itself down, its most likely your cpu or graphics card heating up too high. Go back to the store, they should be able to cure what ails the computer.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not necessarily a heat related problem [ thats not to say it deffinatly isn't ].

What are you doing when your PC shuts off or does it shut itself down even when the PC is idle ?

Have you tried O/Cing your PC ? It could be your current BIOS settings are not stable which would cause the PC to reset itself.

Have you scanned for any Trojans or Boot Viruses etc ?

With a bit more infor we can diagnose the problem further and assist you better.
  • Viva_La_bAM
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Viva_La_bAM

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, when i got the computer remade, as in :

NEW mother board
NEW RAM
NEW 2 additional Fans
NEW CPU

Im still using the same fgraphics card (Geforce 4 ti 128)
And the same souncard ( creative soundblaster live )

When the computer shuts down, i could be doing anything.
Sometimes while im playing the Sims 2 University, and sometimes just chattingon MSN Messenger. Any given time really.

And just this morning it wasnt starting up. Asin the tower turns on and it seems to be working buthe monitor stays on standby
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you have not attempted to O/C your PC in any way, most components are new and you are not doing anything specific when your PC resets.

1. Does any part of your PC appear to be overheating ?

2. Is your GPU seated correctly or perhaps faulty ?
[ If your not receiving any signal from your PC, then your GPU is playing up ].
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this problem with a computer i previously worked on and after an hour or two of trouble shooting it turned out that the ram was bad. try putting a new stick in there you know is good and go from there.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am wondering if maybe your powersupply is under powered for your new hardware. I had a simular problem, and that is what was causing it.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

One or more of the bios settings may be incorrect, try clearing the cmos. This will loose any settings that you have set in the bios like time and ram latencies, but will reset all settings to normal. There should be a little jumper somewhere on the motherboard that says ClearCMOS. That is it, change the jumper from the setting that it is on to the free pins (hope that makes sense). Leave it like that for a few minutes, To stop any damage to the bios make sure the pc in unplugged with no power running through it.

*plum*
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Viva_La_bAM wrote:
And just this morning it wasnt starting up. Asin the tower turns on and it seems to be working buthe monitor stays on standby

I get that too with my computer
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you install the new components yourself? Or were they installed for you by a store?

If the latter, take it back to the store and tell them to fix it - free of course. :)

With regard to this bit..

Viva_La_bAM wrote:

That just happened to one of the machines at the office. Turned out it was the graphics card (coincidentally, a GF4, heh).
  • Acerke
  • Acerke

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I got the same problem with my new pc: kept rebooting any given time.
When I disabled the "auto-reboot on system errors" option in windows XP, I got a blue screen every time.

I also have an AMD64, with a MSI motherboard.

After replacing all possible hardware, from hard disk to PSU, I sent an e-mail to AMD.
They gave me a whole checklist with things I could try.
Eventually, I turned out that my CPU (3200) was too fast for the current BIOS version. I flashed it and my problem was solved.

Below is the e-mail I got from AMD.
Hope it can help you out!

Ivan

----------------------------------------

Hello Ivan,

Thank you for contacting AMD's Technical Service Center.

The cause of system stability issues can be very hard to diagnose.
There are many things that can cause stability issues in a system - from software conflicts to hardware failure. Consequently, pinpointing the problem can be a very time-consuming and frustrating task. The following guidelines can make that task much more manageable, and save you time and effort in the process.

Lock-ups, resets, blue screens, as well as other symptoms, on an AMD Athlon processor-based system can often be due to conflicting drivers or devices. A Win 95,98,98SE, or Me based machine may start promptly by pressing the F8 key. The menu has a variety of Safe Mode options.
Select the Safe Mode option that allows boot logging. As the PC boots, a log file is created of the drivers loading. Watch the screen to see which drivers load properly. If the process crashes, this could be the bad driver.

Likewise, these symptoms can also be traced to thermal issues. For optimal performance, use a heat sink solution evaluated and recommended by AMD. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation. Improper installation could result in inadequate contact between the heat sink and processor die. A thermal interface material should always be used between the heat sink and processor. Lists of these recommended solutions are available on the Thermal Solutions pages for the AMD Athlon Processor. Efficient heat sink solutions must conform to the heat sink design specifications as outlined in the "AMD Thermal, Mechanical, and Chassis Cooling Design Guide", which can be downloaded from the Technical Documents page for the AMD Athlon Processor.

Incompatible or defective memory is a common cause of stability issues.
Always follow the recommendations of the motherboard manufacturer, since memory compatibility is dependent on the motherboard and chipset.
Contact the motherboard manufacturer to determine what types of memory are supported.

An outdated BIOS or outdated drivers can result in an unstable system.
Consequently, the latest BIOS update and motherboard drivers from the motherboard manufacturer should be used. Many motherboards will not even boot if a faster processor is installed until the BIOS update that supports the faster processor has been installed. The latest drivers for all components (i.e. video card, sound card, etc.) should be used as well. Drivers are usually available on the component manufacturer's web site.

If both the system's motherboard and processor are being upgraded, a clean installation from a repartitioned/reformatted hard drive should be performed. A hard drive with a preinstalled operating system may contain incorrect system information (NOTE: Repartitioning/Reformatting will erase all data from the hard drive!).

Make sure that the correct cables are being used. A mixture of high frequency signals and electronic radio signals surround the data cables inside the case. This could result in data corruption, especially if the cables are long and the frequency of the signal is high.

If the system is being built from the ground, up, initially configure it as a barebones system (install only the motherboard, processor, memory, video card and necessary drives). Once the system is stable, add components one at a time. This will make it much easier to identify problem components and resolve any IRQ conflicts.

For optimal performance, use a high quality power supply that meets the characteristics of industry standard market power supplies. AMD processor-based systems typically utilize the industry standard ATX/ATX12V power supply specifications. Choose a power supply that adheres to these specifications. Power supplies that do not meet these specifications, such as electrical specifications (typical power distributions, timing requirements, efficiency, output protection, etc.), may cause stability problems or even system failure.

Careful consideration must be given to the size of the power supply as well. The power supply must be large enough to meet the total combined power requirement of all system components, including the processor, motherboard, drives, adapter cards, and all other installed components.
A system with many components will likely require a larger power supply than a basic system with a minimal number of components.

Finally, to ensure reliable operation, use AMD Recommended Motherboards with the AMD Athlon Processor. AMD evaluates motherboards using an internally developed suite of BIOS, electrical, and software tests. The motherboards on these lists have been tested to ensure compliance with motherboard design guidelines for AMD processors.

We appreciate your business.

Regards,
Joe
Customer Support Analyst
AMD TSC
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The easiest and most reliable way to fix your problem is...

CALL THE MANUFACTURER!

They should have the knowledge to fix it....and it should be free because it is a new PC.

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts