New computer, windows installation won't boot from CD.

• Lanky
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lanky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, i have just bought a computer 2 days ago and i was aware it came with no OS and i was ok with installing my own. But when ever i put the windows installation disc in the computer and try to boot from it all that happens is a black screen appears with the following
"Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press any key"
If i press any key then all that happens is that massage ^^ keeps appearing like copying itself underneath each one. I am very confused of why this is happening... could anybody help?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change your boot priority devices in your BIOS, hit DEL at startup and from the top menu select the "boot" option.

In there swap the priorities to what ever you wish, but place CDROM before HDD0/HDD1.

For example, if you have a FDD then you could do:

FDD
CDROM
HDD
Other
  • Lanky
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lanky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes i have changed the boot option to the CDROM first but i still get the same message...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

what OS are you trying to install?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hace you chekced the disc is readable and ok by putting it into another machine and seeing if you can explore the contents ?

Is this a legal version of windows or a copy ?

PS - Loving the hat ANTO ! :D
  • Lanky
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lanky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im trying to install Windows xp pro, and when i put it in my working computer it does work and gives me options to choose from like installe etc.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried any other bootable discs in that drive to boot from them ?

See what happens there.
  • Lanky
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lanky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes i have put the soundcard disc in just to see if my computer reads discs, and it does it says error wrong disc etc so it does read discs.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try booting another machine using the XP disc [ as if you were going to reinstall ] but just see if it reads the disc from there.

If so, I would be tempted to remove the machine thats not working, then install the drive from another machine and try again.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possible problems:

1. The OS CD is not a genuine Microsoft XP CD. Everyone of them are bootable and come with generic drivers for the CD device and many hard drives. If it is not a genuine CD and mearly an ISO burn it may not be bootable. (or legal)

2. The hard drive is not recognized by the BIOS (most likely not the case) but double check the BIOS setup and ensure it recognizes the hard drive. If not the hard drive should have come with a bootable install disk you can run to format it properly. (this is most least likely the problem)

3. Your computer may have more than one CD/DVD Drive. Make sure the correct one is selected as your first boot device.

4. You have a defective CD drive out of the box
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may need Windows XP Boot up diskette. download it from Microsoft. its free.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
  • Lanky
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lanky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have a floppy drive :$ also the computer only came with the sound card drivers, no hardrive disk to reformat it etc.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you try swapping the optical drive for the one from your other machine that you know works ?

Or at least disconnecting the one you are having difficulty with and temp attaching the other drive ?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could be one of two things. Either the cd is not being recognized by a perfectly good optical drive. Or the perfectly good cd is doing no good in a faulty optical drive.

I would try a few things.

Make sure that you are booting from CD-ROM as your first priority in the BIOS.

Make sure that you have a hard drive and that it is recognized by the BIOS.

Then, install or substitute temporarily a new cd/dvd drive that you are using to read the windows xp pro disc to see if it's a problem with the optical drive.

If that doesn't work, try using a different OS installation disc to see if it's a problem with the disc itself. (Although you say that it was working on a separate machine, so I dont' think that's the case)
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am willing to bet this is not a legal version of XP, Lanky has ignored that question several times, if this is not a legal version of XP then that is your problem, cough up the money for a legal version and your problems will go away.
  • webseoservice
  • webseoservice

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not a case of Genuine or Pirated copy.

not using bootable disc for installation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts