New graphic card/Can my PC use its full performance?

• Koulis
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Europe ,)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys!,
I'm ver looking forward to your opinions. :idea:

I have 1,5 year old comp, Celeron 2,4GHz, 512MB DDR ~400, some asus motherboard with common agp port and Ati radeon 9200. I want to buy ATI Radeon 9800. please try to tell me if my pc can use all of its performance or if this graphic card won't be fully used. (i'm glad if you possibly give me detailed explanation why not or suggest me some lower one).

Thanks a lot ,
Petr
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

of course you will get the full performance out of that card..... your CPU isnt great but the card will do a ton for game graphics and speed. If you realy feel like paying that much money for a 9800 though.. it is expensive. You may want to go for a new CPU then a Video card... or get the card now and change the CPU later. But overall a that video card will give you a ton of power... enough to run doom 3 at high with 30-40 fps if you set up doom3 right.

what Type of AGP do you have, AGP 4X or 8X?

i have a 2.4ghz runnning @ 2.62ghz and a radeon 9600pro 256mbs and it helped a ton. I had a radeon 9100 originaly.
  • Koulis
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Presently i don' know the agp speed as i'm on college and i can't fond it out now.. If i'm at home i 'll tell you. So we can expect 8x. And what about agp 4? Can we still utlize full power? I don't think so.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

you would still get full performance.... the difference between AGP 4X and 8X is very very small... i was just curious.
  • Koulis
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's nice, now I'm completely clear about the matter :) Thanks bro. I'll do some mark and give u a score info afterwards so as we can compare... Bye.
  • Skudor
  • Skudor
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another Graphics card that to me is a good value for money is the Geforce 6800 it's in the same class as the Radeon, i totally agree with beings you would be able to get the full performance
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skudor wrote:
Another Graphics card that to me is a good value for money is the Geforce 6800 it's in the same class as the Radeon, i totally agree with beings you would be able to get the full performance

The GeForce 6800 is NOT in the same class as the Radeon 9800 Pro. The GeForce 6800 is a generation ahead of the Radeon 9800 Pro and will smoke it in any test.

The Radeon 9800 Pro will help your system immensely when running graphics-intensive applications (such as games) but it will be bottlenecked by your CPU. A Celeron 2.4 GhZ won't allow you to play games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 on the settings you should be able to with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

None the less, it's a good upgrade and should help your system out quite a bit. I would really recommend picking up a new processor though, as that will allow your system to utilize the Radeon 9800 Pro to its fullest.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
The GeForce 6800 is NOT in the same class as the Radeon 9800 Pro. The GeForce 6800 is a generation ahead of the Radeon 9800 Pro and will smoke it in any test.

/agree

The Radeon 9800 is on par with the Geforce FX 5900 Ultra, not the 6800.
  • Skudor
  • Skudor
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry that was my fault, i got mixed up with the numbers :?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do that a lot three. I mean too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts