New hard drive need help

• al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay I'm going to get a 250 or 300 GB hard drive and I want to make my computer dual boot with windows xp and linux redhat or ubuntu or the like. I know I need to partition the drive. but I want to run Windows on my current drive (40gb) and use linux and put games and backup my data on the second. My friend twmspro advised me to post and ask if it will work on two seperate drives. Thank you!
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you would have to load the booter on your XP drive, when it boots up it will ask you which system you would like to run XP or Linux.

Think that's right. I'm sure one of the Linux guru's on here can tell you for sure.

Good Luck.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I know, the dual boot process has to be installed on the drive your booting from, normally the master. I'm running Linux as my main boot program, and then runing windows as a shelf program to it. You have to install the linux first, and hide it behind a partition to keep windows from deleting it. As far as gaming on one hard drive and working off the other, just set up extra partitions and use those drives for specifically what you want.

Heres a link to help get you started, and you might try posting this same question in the Linux forum or windows forum, under "Dual Boot Advice." and see what kind of posts you get.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu ... lboot.html

Good luck!
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

All right I got it all worked out. I was using grub but I found a better boot manager called osl2000 i believe. Thank you for your help.
  • lito_loo

Post 3+ Months Ago

osl2000 is very easy to install yet not powerful though
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is wrong with osl2000? How is it not poerful enough?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts