new mobo, new case, new psu - new headache

• panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli
  • Loc: Cleveland

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey all -

i wanted to upgrade my system from a slim profile case to a normal case, so i got a new mobo with extra slots for ram, a new case, and a new normal sized psu.

i put it all together and nothin. no power. i did see a bit of smoke and smell an electrical smell (that's not good).

here's what I tried:

new setup as listed - nothing
replaced mobo with old mobo - nothing (more smoke tho)
replaced psu with old psu (still with old mobo)- nothing.

what can be wrong with the case to make it not power up? am I missing something obvious? is there a case power cable i don't know about? anything else i can try? i'm to the point where i'm close to just building my old machine again - just to confirm i'm not crazy.

I can't try the new mobo or psu in the old case i don't think.

help appreciated.

julie
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where did the smoke come from, powersupply or motherboard?

What make and model are the powersupply and mobo?

I doubt it is the fault of the case.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

It may be conjecture - but it appeared the smoke was from the lower portion of the mobo - where the connectors are for the power switch and all that. But that was where I was looking just in case i connected it wrong...

Here's the specs:

psu: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6817171007
mobo: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813186061

thanks!
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok - here are some new symptoms. I rebuilt the thing with the new mobo, case and PSU. The mobo doesn't have on-board video, so new video card to begin.

I got the fans to start (the case fan which is only plugged into the power, not the mobo, and the cpu cooler fan). The computer makes a small beep, then powers off immediately. I need to turn the PSU on and off to make the fans go again. I got them to stay on only once, but I didn't have a video card in there to see if the thing is booting or not. I put the video card in, but haven't got it to do more than beep and run the fans for a sec since.

Ideas? I still can't tell if it is a PSU issue or mobo issue...

Thanks!

Julie
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you use any standoffs when you screwed the motherboard into the case? There may be some contacts shorting out to the chasis ground.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

no - i'm not sure what a standoff is - but i'll look into it! should it come with the case or the mobo or is it a separate purchase?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got stand offs with the motherboard and case.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What cpu do you have? You may be overheating the processor if it starts and then shuts down immediately. Or just a crap PSU.

Best thing I can think of is start RMA's and try one at a time. I would first check to make sure the proc and memory work. Then I would find a known-reliable psu (I usually only go for Thermaltake or PC P&C) and start from there. But the bad ground could be a reason too (usually only with cheap PC cases though).
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ordered a new PSU (RMA'd actually). The PSU is a 12Volt Coolermaster (see link above). The proc and ram came out of a functioning PC - so unless I've zapped them, they are good. I'll see one at a time...
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok - i just got the replacement psu. same thing. on the tech support it says to make sure the P10 (CPU12V) is connected to the motherboard. I don't think I have that. Does anyone know if this is a standard requirement? I have a new mobo with poor documentation. I have the P1 (20pin) connected to the mobo, but don't see a 4 pin connector. Ideas? Could this be what is going on?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your board doesn't require the 4-pin connector, just tie it up somewhere.

Make sure you put the standoffs on the case under the motherboard - the motherboard does NOT screw directly to the case. The standoffs are either brass and look like this: http://www.wisp-router.com/images/misc/SCREWNUTM.jpg
or plastic and look like this: http://www.pcwb.com/products/STARTO16.jpg

You screw the standoffs into the case holes that line up to your motherboard holes, then screw your motherboard into the standoffs (if the standoffs are the brass ones) or snap your motherboard over them (if they're the plastic ones).

Take out everything except the processor and 1 of your RAM chips, connect only the power and speaker connectors to the main header and try to boot the system. If it doesn't give you a beep or two after a few seconds, make sure you have everything connected right. If the speaker begins to either beep eratically or stay on you have a problem. Check your connections first, then try a different RAM chip. Since you don't have a different processor, you can't very well replace that. After you've made whatever changes, boot the system again and see if you get the desired one or two beeps. if everything goes as planned, shut down and connect something else (either one of the header connectors OR your hard drive OR your video card) and boot the system again. Keep repeating until your system is up or you've found out what you're connecting that's stopping it from booting.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts