New powersupply concern

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just bought a 350watt psu the enermax EG365P-VE. i has 2 fans. A 92mm fan that blows up into the psu from inside the case and an 80mm fan that blows out of the case. the powersupply did not come with a manual fan speed controler nor can i view/change the RPM on my computer. Now heres my problem, the fans on the Psu run realy slowly (i cant see the RPM but when i watch the fans spining they both spin quite slowly) If i put my hand up to the back 80mm fan i cant feel a breeze from the fan at all. i even put a thin piece of paper up to the fan and it didnt even move that. My case has a top fan that blows out fairly hot air now that i have overclocked my CPU. The Enermax people claim the fans change RPM depending on the temperature in the PSU but it is hot in my case and the fans stay at the low speed even when my system is at full load. Im supposed to be able to see the fan speeds in the bios or a hardware monitor but i cannot. The last thing i need is to have my powersupply overheat. I have an Aopen AX45-8X Motherboard. Does anybody else have this problem with their powersupply or know how i could get the fans to run faster or know why they are running slow?

my motherboard reads temps of 34 CPU and 45 System... i know these readings are wrong and my motherboard cant read temps worth s**t. doesnt make sense that my system temp is higher then my cpu but oh well thats not my problem here.. the PSU fans are.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i looked on the enermax site about my problem and they had some information but it was realy badly translated ... can anyone understand this:

"Some motherboards cannot read RPM or change RPM speeds Therefore, after installing Enermax power, we suggest our customers to disable the BIOS/software setting over PSU fan rpm detecting or if possible to reduce the BIOS/software setting of the threshold/limit. "

does anyone know what they are trying to say?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its got to have a separate input and I have never seen an input on a motherboard for it!

You can just about feel the breeze on my one. I have excellent 500w PSU for only £10/$6 PSU from Ebuyer.com and I suggest you buy it and keep it as a back up.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

so you think its safe for now?
i just need to keep a back up psu in case?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Upto you. I have had 2 PSU units fail on me so I always keep a backup. At £10 the ebuyer psu is excellent option.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Throw that Enermax POS out the window. I blew two Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo's because of a "500W" Enermax PSU.

I finally bought a Thermaltake 480W PSU. Best decision I ever made.
To me there are only a few names in computer cooling and power:
Antec, Vantec, Thermaltake, and Thermalright (funny how the names are!).

Their stuff isnt expensive, and the extra money is worth the fact that you might not have to ever change it again.
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

how did you blow 2 mothersboards?
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i dont know about that man.... i know lots of people with enermax PSUs and they have never had problems with motherboards shorting out ... my problem is only the fans because they dont seem to be spinning as fast as i want them to.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

beings wrote:
my problem is only the fans because they dont seem to be spinning as fast as i want them to.

So your PC has no problem and your just worried about how slow the fan spins?

If your thinking your blowing something consider getting power surge protection or a back up PSU.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hellsbellboy wrote:
how did you blow 2 mothersboards?

No idea.... They worked and then one day the box would shutdown (right in the middle of freaking Vice City man!) and wouldnt never boot back up. Replace the mobo, and after 10 minutes the smae thing happens. So I chuck the PSU and buy an expensive top-of-the-line one and replaced the mobo again and it's been workign fine since. Although the damn vid card is F*****.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for your loss man, sounds like it cost you a ton of money

i do have a power surge protector, i went top of the line when buying it, It can resist 4000+ joules.

The fans on the enermax PSU are supposed to be compadible with mobo fan detection but for some reason my Aopen motherboard cannot read or control these fan speeds.

i dont think im blowing something.. everything seems fine but the fans dont seem to be pulling any air. My computer is overclocked and my case fans do blow out warm air.

Enermax says if you cannout view or change the fan speeds it says to turn off the fan detector for the PSU or stop the threshold of the psu fans... but i dont know how to do that. Im guessing its in the bios but i dont like fooling around in my bios unless i know what im looking for and doing.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

RMA #'s & Warrenties. Only thing I basically lost is time, frustraton, and the $35 I spent on the POS psu. I got everything threw newegg, the RMA's take a long time but they are pretty good about stuff like that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts