New secondary HDD won't work

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought a WD 200GB EIDE HDD to go with my existing WD 70GB EIDE HDD. They are both on cable select and my OS HDD is on the end of the cable, while the new HDD is in the middle. After installing the new HDD I can't get either to show up in BIOS. Under Primary it just says "none" even when there are 2 HDD's hooked up on it. When I unplug the power to the new 200GB HDD the computer works as usual. So, for some odd reason when I have both HDD's plugged in neither work. This leads me to believe there is a drain of my PSU.

I have a 400w Antec PSU, and here are some of my PC specs.

1 eVGA 6800 GT (requires power cord)
3 x512mb OCZ platinum RAM
1 cdrw drive
1 dvdrw drive
1 Floppy drive
1 creative sound card
1 56k modem
1 70GB WD HDD
4 cooling fans

My pc runs fine using the above items. When I plug in the other HDD everything seems to still power up just the HDD's won't. All I can hear is some clicking noises...but im not sure which HDD is making the noises. Let me also mention that I have the HDD's on the same power cord..im not sure if that makes a difference or not, if it does then I think I am out of luck since all the power cords are used. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'd hate to RMA this if it works, anybody got any ideas? thanks
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you set the jumper on the new hard drive to slave? Sounds like it might be set to master and your computer is trying to boot off of it. On the hard drive you'll see the settings for slave and master, place the jumper pin accordingly to the slave setting. You have the IDE cables connected correctly, master is on the end, slave uses the middle connection, so hopefully its the jumpers.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

tried that :\ still did the same thing. What was weird, is after i set the existing HDD to master and the new one to slave I just unplugged the new HDD and left the existing one with master jumper setting..bios didn't recognize it until i put it back at cable select. I also tried just using the new HDD to see if BIOS would recognize it..no luck. Any other ideas? thanks!
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ohhhhh!!! you know what it COULD be, should've noticed this from the start. i had a similar issue, your hdd should have come with a cd that updates the bios, you need to load it before you install the hard drive. what it is, your hard drive is 200 gigs, and your cmos (depending on how old it is) probably wont recognize any hard drive greater than 80 gigs. so that cd updates your bios to recognize larger hard drives. i remember when i installed my 160, i had to do the same thing. so look for that cd and give it a shot.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i bought it OEM, im not sure where I would find such software. I looked on WD website but didn't find anything specifically for BIOS updates

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n

thanks..

EDIT: also..shouldn't my existing HDD show up in BIOS even if the new HDD doesn't?
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

That explains it! Looking at the WD cd I have, you need the Data Lifeguard Tools. So go to http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&swid=1 then select the WD Caviar - 7200 RPM and on the right selection, download the Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows. Bada bing, bada boom, you should be in business!

//Regarding your edit: the old hard drive doesnt get recognized anymore? Are you sure you're using the end IDE cable, not the middle one? Also make sure its plugged in properly, disconnect the new hard drive entirely. Just try the solution above and I think you'll be ok. After you install the bios update, make sure the new hard drive in connected to the middle IDE connection, the old hard drive to the end cable. And make sure you set the master/slave correctly. I think you'll be ok.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

just as luck would have it...the program doesn't work..

I get an error and it gives me the option to debug or close the application. sigh :\
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

my computer parts are very new, 200gb drives had been out for a while when the mobo was put on the market. I think i have a deffective product :\
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you download the correct one?
http://support.wdc.com/download/downloadxml.asp#1
Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows. Doesnt sound like what you got was part of their installation instructions! Make sure your new hard drive is attached as well.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea that's the problem, I can't attach the new HDD because if i do BIOS doesn't detect either of the HDD's and I can't boot up windows xp :\

also I tried that program out, pretty useless unless the HDD is actually connected

thanks
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think its just the jumpers that are messing things up. If you have your old hd set to master and to the end cable, the new hd set to slave and middle connection, your computer should at the very least boot up from the master. That shouldnt even be an issue. Make sure you're putting the jumpers correctly. If all else fails, tell the store you bought it from to test the drive and make sure it works on their end, they usually do that anyway before going through the whole RMA process.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i checked the jumpers..i'm clueless as to why it wouldn't boot as well.

I got it from Newegg, and I've already setup an RMA..thanks for the help
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you got the 200GB jumper set on Slave and it in the MIDDLE EIDE connector, and the old HD set on Master and on the FARTHEST connector away from the motherboard connector?

*plum*
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

we went through every possible solution *plum*, i think he just has a defective drive! :wink:
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, im not an idiot with computers..i've built a few. I tried everything I can think of..guess i just got a raw deal :\

thanks for the help guys
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh well, i tried the simple things that ive got wrong a few times :oops:

*plum*
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't believe no-one noticed this:
Quote:
Let me also mention that I have the HDD's on the same power cord..im not sure if that makes a difference or not, if it does then I think I am out of luck since all the power cords are used.

VERY STUPID! Doing that is known to cause the voltage output from the PSU to decrease.

If your PSU has multiple 12V 'rails' (usually you can tell because there will be two holes in the PSU that have lots of cables coming out, as opposed to one), try putting the 200GB drive on its own on the second rail.

I think Nvidia recommends that you use a 450W PSU with their graphics cards. Try upgrading your PSU. Does your mobo have onboard graphics? If so, try taking out the graphics card and using that.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've already tried switching out my existing HDD with the new HDD and it still wouldn't work...even on its own power cable.

EDIT: I didn't put it on a second rail because I don't beleive I have a second rail..there is only one hole with wires coming out. Also, the WD website says if I plug my HDD in without any data cables and it still makes the clicking noises that it is deffective..and mine did jsut that :\

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts