New System!

• tyco
  • tyco

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Ive finally decided to get rid of this piece of junk and decided I would build a whole new machine from scratch....

Case: Aluminum Blue X-Superalien ATX PC Case with 500 Watt P4/AMD Dual Fan Power Supply
Cooling system: Compuvision DIY Water Cooling Set
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra DDR memory with 256-bit bus and AGP 8X interface
Sound Card: Turtle Santa Cruz
Hard Drive: Special Edition Caviar 120GB (Ultra ATA/100, 7200 RPM)
Memory: 1GB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM DIMM (x2)

All I need is a nice motherboard I have my heart set on a 4ghz one anyone know where I can find one?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, you need a motherboard, then you need a CPU.. and if your looking for a 4ghz, you better be ready to wait a while, there are none yet.

And I don't know why I see so many people screw this up, but there's a HUGE difference between DDR RAM and SD RAM... they NEVER go together.

You might want to double check that the water cooling system will work with your case.

As for recomendations, I've ordered a lot of hardware off of http://www.newegg.com without a hitch for pretty cheap.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have ordered from newegg in the past too with no problems. I usually start my search for parts at http://www.pricewatch.com/ and then find the best places to go from there. I am now slightly going off on a tangent here--- Be careful though before buying from a company. I usually do a search in google to see if anybody has complained about them. There are some companies that are really bad and like to play games with you. I made that mistake in the past with a company that I did not check with first, and it really was a pain. To make a long story short, my product never arrived and I would email them and it would take them a week to respond for which they told me it should arrive by a so and so date, for which it never did. This process kept going on a for awhile and finally I demanded a refund. They never gave me one or even responded to that email until I started talking about BBB and lawyers, and suing. They then promptly gave me a refund. Anyway after all that I researched the net to see if anybody complained about them. I have never seen so many complaints in my life. If I would have taken 2 min to research the company before hand I would have never had to go through what I did.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When buying, not only research the company, but the product. You might find that what you're looking at isn't as good as it may seem. You seem to have your heart set on the newest and most expensive things, so research is a must to protect your investment.
  • schmeg007
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • schmeg007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're looking for a place to buy stuff from, online, you can't go wrong with newegg. They deliver quick and they allow users to post feedback about their products in the public eye.

As for the 4Ghz, I know it SHOULD be out, but for the last year it seems that the cpu companies have started to slack off. Is it me or have they fallen behind the rule of Doubling the speed every 18 months?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am assuming it is getting harder and harder to double the speed.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't the main issue now the ammount of heat it generates and trying to find a way to cool it? I heard that is making it a challenge for them to produce faster processors because if it overheats what good is it.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're definitely right bigweb. I read that a few weeks ago. Besides that, what good is a 4ghz system anyway? not much out there right now by way of software that's pushing the need for all that. 2ghz++
systems are more than plenty as of now IMO.

Hell, I'm still using a P3 933mhz and doing just fine! :P
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the most useful thing for the really powerful computers now are for gaming environments, or computers that need alot of processing power to render huge images or the like.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, 2.0ghz is more than enough,
you do have to wonder tho, when u read overclocking articles they say that pushing the fsb too far will cause it to overheat and melt (sometimes)
then how does the p4 3ghz cope?....thats 800mhz fsb
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think the majority of the people want/get the latest and greatest, not for need, they just want it cause they want the "best" or fastest/newest.... I'd be willing to bet 90% or more of pc users wouldnt need more than a 1Ghz...

just my 2cents, I could be wrong...
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

kalbal wrote:
yes, 2.0ghz is more than enough,
you do have to wonder tho, when u read overclocking articles they say that pushing the fsb too far will cause it to overheat and melt (sometimes)
then how does the p4 3ghz cope?....thats 800mhz fsb

my 2.6 is 800Mhz FSB. no heat problems, so far...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts