New PC vs Upgrading PC

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you were to choose between buying a new PC or upgrading your PC what would you choose and why?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

well Pcs should be change every 2 years...the rate of new stuff coming out and essential to new apps are advancing at the speed of light.
Upgrading is good after the first year you bought the PC...after 2 years, get a new one...

you'll never be able to follow up tech (unless you have the $$$ for it), but you'll keep up to date...
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

it all depends . look at the hardware you have and what kind of a performance gain can u possibly get with the upgrade. calcualate the amount of money for a new pc. then do you cost benefit analysis.

**if you have a 2.8C for example and you upgrade in one year to a 4.0C its worth it. but if you have an earlier pentuim4 chances are your better off with a new comp... just an example.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It isn't a case of upgrade or buy a new machine, because if your machine's pretty old, upgrading everything would be exactly the same as buying a whole new machine.

I upgrade components regularly. A motherboard here, a processor there, an extra hard drive, faster CD/DVD drive/burner or whatever.

That's upgrading. If you have to upgrade the whole system at once, like I said, you're essentially getting a whole new machine.

Right now, the only thing I'd want that I don't already have is a faster processor, more ram, and maybe another 120Gig HD, so I'd just get those components.

If my PC completely sucked, I'd build up a whole new PC from all new components.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always liked to buy a whole pc. Reason is because you have a top of the line then you take your old one and use it as a Linux lab machine. If you use half of the components out of your old one you are replacing parts that have gone out from wear and tear CD-ROM, hard Drive etc. Having a new one you no longer have to worry about that power supply sending a nice zap through the p1 connector thus destroying hard drive CD-ROM drive. And you have extra parts sitting around.
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

SecureITGroup wrote:
And you have extra parts sitting around.
My friend ended up having a computer junkyard in his house.

Another good thing about buying new computer is you can use your old comp as another server, or to build a cluster. Whenever i accumulate enough old computers i will build a beowulf cluster. There's 1 in my lab, it consists of like 40 P1s., runs pretty fast too, and comes out less than a P4 system. Only bad thing is it consumes too much energy.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

moved to hardware
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would never call computers a junkyard unless they are old to the point to ware you cant install 98 and up. I like to have computer parts around so that I could perform experiments like crating a super computer. I did that using a live version of Linux that they use at flash mobs.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts