new video card. compatibilty issues???

• quartz01
  • quartz01

Post 3+ Months Ago

i want to get a ti4200 (right now i have a tnt2 m64 32mb Pro) but i am a little worried. I got a GeForce 2 MX400 from an incredibly cheap and no name manufacturer a while back. well i installed it and it burned out after 10 min!! now i don't know if this is because of my mobo or the card sucked big time..

also i heard about AGP cards that have a different voltage for TNT2 and lower types of cards... is this ture or is it something i had in a dream??

My motherboard is a FIC AZ31 that came off a Compaq Presario 5005cl

so my question is, if i get my ti4200 from a GOOD manufacturer will it work FOR CERTIAN on my motherboard.

Sorry if i seem a little parinoid but i really don't want to waste money on a video card that doesn't work with my mobo

i have found these sites about my mobo:
http://www.s87841630.onlinehome.us/...ave/uwaver.html (the max CPU is a 1.2 ghz though..)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/az31.html
but they both give a little different data so i don't know how acturate they are

EDIT: o i remeber about the weird TNT2 voltage thing. Do tnt2's run off a 3.3v AGP slot and the ti4200 run off a 1.5v slot?? is my mobo a 3.3v or 1.5v AGP slot??? SOO CONFUSED!!!

and i got this info.. duno if it helps
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/10,63.html
Because speeds must be backwards compatible, Signalling Voltage is where incompatibilities arise. Basically:

* All 8x cards are 0.8v AGP 3.0 spec
* 8x cards will fit in 1.5V slots, and can tolerate the voltage, but will NOT run properly
* 4x cards can be either 1.5V or 0.8V
* 2x and 1x cards are either 3.3V or 1.5V
* Except in the case of the 8X cards, using the wrong voltage card with the wrong motherboard can result in damage in card and board
* If you install a card of incompatible voltages with the motherboard's specs, the card will NOT run

The connectors on AGP video cards are keyed in such a way that you can only install equipment that have compatible Voltage keyed connectors. Normally the key of the card determines its signal voltage. AGP 1.0 and AGP 2.0 cards using a 1.5V key will signal at 1.5 volts. However, AGP 3.0 devices can tolerate 1.5V - they won't be destroyed, they just might not work properly.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

AGP cards take their power from the AGP slot. If they require more power than the AGP slot can provide newer cards now need to have an extra molex connection (such as the 9800Pro has 1 molex connection and the 6800 Ultra which has 2 molex connections). They will only take as much as they require, therefore if you have a3.3v AGP slot with a 1.5v VPU, it wil only take 1.5v leaving the other 1.7v alone.

Yes your card will work with this mobo. Theoreticaly any AGP VPU will work in any mobo with an AGP slot.

I would adivse you to buy a better mobo though as that board looks a little past it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts